Skip to main content
Topic: Steering wheel? (Read 1338 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering wheel?

I now have GT5 for about 2 weeks and I find certain cars (and karts especially) are almost impossible to steer with my Dual Shock PS3 Controller. Maybe it's just me and I need to get a little more accustomed to the game (it's definitely something completely else than Motorstorm  8)) but I wonder if the game gets easier with a steering wheel. So can you tell me if a steering wheel really helps with the game or should I just practice more?

BTW I don't want to spend a fortune on a steering wheel, so any recommendations on good, cheap ones are welcome too...

Re: Steering wheel?

Reply #1
I have never driven GT5 without a wheel so couldn't really tell you the difference TBH. I think it helps, certainly with immersion, but then some of the fastest times in the TTs are done on the pad.

I think the cheapest, reasonably high quality wheel you can get is the GT Driving Force wheel for between £50-70

Reply #2
I'm the same as humanfish, i've never played GT5 without a wheel ( but have played all the other gran turismo games with a pad ).
Basically the game wont feel easier when using a wheel its all about practice. The first wheel I used on the ps3 was a logitech driving force ex which cost about £40. It has force feedback ( a must!! ) and a good button lay-out.
Check E-bay for some bargins.

Once you start using a wheel you will never go back to a pad

Reply #3
I bought the Logitech GT Driving Force wheel as recommended, and MAN! I've been playing all weekend! I still suck (still bumping into opponents when they brake before a corner and such) but my times are so much faster than before! And it's just a totally different experience... I love it!

Reply #4
Glad your enjoying your wheel e-l-l-o-c-o-66  :113:
Its not exactly cheap, but by all accounts it is the best quality wheel and pedals set, even if the pedals are probably the weaker element. An improvement in times are a great benefit, but i think the added immerssion is the best thing.

Reply #5
Very true! The first time I played with the wheel, I had to stop after a couple of minutes because I got dizzy... that's how much I got sucked into the 'reality' of the game. I moved my screen back a bit, and now no more nausia and just plain good old fun!

Reply #6
I've noticed the thrustmasters are cheaper than Logitechs are they any good though?

Reply #7
what model is that Tej? It can't be the new TR500  lol   :31:

if you like F1 elloco you should pick up the game, it works well on the wheel and is something different to the more 'stuffy' (if more realistic) GT5. I'm surprised Tej hasn't mentioned it before. lol

Reply #8
I've actually pm'd elloco, sorry bombarded him with requests to get the F1 game and join the Championship but he isn't interested.. With regards the Thrustmaster its the GT Ferrari Challenge at 35 pounds...