Skip to main content
Topic: [F4] Paddock Pass (Read 542 times) previous topic - next topic

[F4] Paddock Pass

Welcome to the F4 Paddock Pass. This is the place to make headlines and read the latest interviews, upgrades and all other interesting stuff F4 has to over!
F1 2016 stats: F6 S2 3rd place | F4 S3 10th place
F1 2017 stats: F4 S1 6th place | F4 S2 3th place | F3 S3 15th place | Constructors champion F4 S1 | Constructors 2nd place F4 S2 |
F1 2018 stats: 1 win | 36 points | currently 6th place in the championship
Races: 65 | Race wins: 1 | Podiums: 14 | Pole Positions: 3 | Fastest Laps: 4 | Points: 351 | DNFs: 13 | Seasons in PSGL: 6 | Best result: 1st(1x) |

Re: [F4] Paddock Pass

Reply #1
"Lazy, Feckless, and Clueless" Former Renault Driver Lashes Out At Former Employers

In a Roker Report exclusive, we sit down with now former Renault driver Hulkenburger for his first public appearance since the end of last season. Despite guiding Renault to two consecutive fourth placed constructors finishes, both he, and teammate gamefreaker, were dropped from the team for the upcoming season, and Hulkenburger has since launched a scathing attack on the Enstone team.

'I have to say the change in driver lineup took me completely by surprise, not just because I feel we haven't performed particularly poorly over the past two seasons, but also because it means they've actually done some work over the last few months. In all my years of racing I have never known such a lazy, feckless, and clueless organisation. Their car was unreliable, oft times completely off the pace, and I swear they'd made the front suspension out of papier-mâché the amount of times it failed on me. Honestly, as much as I enjoyed my two seasons there, not least because both times I was accompanied by an excellent teammate and a solid race engineer, both of whom are accompanying me to Williams this season, I am also delighted to be leaving for a team that, on the front of it at least, has some idea of what they're doing.

Something I discovered at Renault over the past few seasons is that for all their fancy technology and huge development centre, and their money and their infrastructure and to a relative extent their history, you can take it all and stick it in the bin as far as I'm concerned because it's utterly worthless if the people working there are incompetent. Renault is like having a huge, fancily wrapped Christmas present, you think 'oh this must be amazing' and then you open it, and... nothing. It's empty. They can have as many flashy gadgets as they like, it's not going to win them anything I can guarantee you.

I don't want to focus my attention on the past though, the future with Williams look bright. They are a historic motor racing team, with more pedigree than almost anyone else out there, what's more, they have a history of innovation which is unrivalled throughout the grid. The people here want to work, they want to make Williams the best team out there. I am incredibly eager to see what they come up with for the new season, I'm sure we can propel them to the front once more, despite some recent difficulties.'

The new F4 season starts in a little under two weeks time, with pre-season beginning this Sunday in Austin, Texas. Can Hulkenburger back up his words and bring Williams where he feels it belongs? Or will we look back on his words with a tinge of regret come the end of the season?

F1 Race Statistics and Achievements
Races Entered 95 - Races Completed 64 - Points 433 - Pole Laps 9 - Wins 5 - Podiums 18 - Average Finish 7th - DNF's 31
1x F4 Drivers Runners Up - 2x F4 Constructors Runners Up - 1x F5(FP) Constructors Third Place - One Night Championship Winner

Reply #2
Haas shows good pace with a new aero package at Austin
Lars driving the new Haas VF18 at Circuit Of The Americas during the F4 pre season testing

Haas made a good impression with the on track debut of their 2018 challenger, the Haas VF18. Haas only decided to run 1 car after the team announced chicken_ownzzzz won't be driving at COTA just 2 hours before the race. Although there hasn't been given a statement why they only run 1 car, but there were rumours that Chicken_ownzzzz got involved in a argument with Guenther Steiner ahead of the pre season test.

The pre season testing included a Qualyfying session and a race over 28 laps. In the qualyfying Lars did a solid job in the only Haas that was used. He managed to get his Haas just behind Steba and Lordy, to start from 3rd place in the race. When it came to the race the luck would turn. After a horrible start he only found himself in 8th place. After overtakes on Ijsimo, Gamefreaker and awesomedude he found himself in P4. During the stint on ultrasofts he overheated his tyres to much, so the pace dropped massively. Lars came into the pit in a virtual 5th place after being overtaken by bluemosquito. Then it became a battle between Lars and Lordy battling for the virtual race lead. After the drivers that were on a 2 stop made their 2nd stop it became a 4 way battle for the race win. It was a battle between Lordy, Gamefreaker, Steba and Lars. Lars failed to keep Steba behind, so a battle against Lordy and Gamefreaker remained. Bluemosquito was slowly catching up behind, so it nearly became a 4 way battle for 2nd place. On lap 26 Lars got a good slipstream of Gamefreaker and Lordy on the backstraight, managing to pull alongside and overtake gamefreaker first and Lordy after that, so he found himself in 2nd place when crossing the line. He dropped to 3rd place after serving a 3 second penalty.

Lars cruising to the finish after overtaking Gamefreaker and Lordy in the final 3 laps

After this good test Haas is looking strong to compete for both championships, starting the chase next week in Australia. With Chicken returning to the team next week Haas will definitly look strong to get a good result in Australia.
F1 2017 stats: F4 S1 6th place | F4 S2 3th place | F3 S3 15th place | Constructors champion F4 S1 | Constructors 2nd place F4 S2 |
Races: 65 | Race wins: 1 | Podiums: 14 | Pole Positions: 3 | Fastest Laps: 4 | Points: 351 | DNFs: 13 | Seasons in PSGL: 6 | Best result: 1st(1x) |

Reply #3
"Renault Woes 'Amusing' Says Hulkenburger"

The Roker Report has now become known as an official mouthpiece of the Sunderland-born Williams driver Hulkenburger, as we sit down with him for our second interview in as many weeks. It was a tired, but somewhat smug driver that greeted us, after his fourth placed finish in the Australian Grand Prix yesterday evening that, as he took no time to remind us, places him in his highest championship position in over two years. The place was hard fought, and well earned, as the race showed some deficiencies in the Williams that must be ironed out over the coming races; despite this, Hulkenburger was pleased with the opening round.

"The car was solid in qualifying, it was by no means my best performance admittedly, there was certainly time to find if I was driving better, in the race though, we weren't as strong as I may have hoped. Realistically we weren't quick enough for fourth, but Williams have seemingly built a very wide car as everyone was struggling to get past. I definitely enjoyed the race, and if it's a sign of things to come then I'll be very happy, it's a short season so every race counts after all, and 8 points to start with is more than I could have hoped for."

Hulkenburger had previously launched a controversial scathing attack on his former team, Renault, and after they failed to score in the opening round he could not help himself from commenting on their poor performance.

"Renault... they performed exactly as I imagined them to. Look at my previous seasons with them, they all follow the same formula, a very slow start and then some improvement by the end. Clearly nothing has changed there, their car was fragile enough to have to retire after just one lap, and despite a decent qualifying performance it seems their drivers don't have the mental capabilities to cope with a race situation. It's amusing to watch I admit. I concede their drivers are fast over one lap but the car and their line-up looks like a recipe for disaster in the races, I expect a lot more DNF's in the future for them, while we [Williams] will only go from strength to strength once we get Gamefreaker back in his seat.

It is clear that Hulkenburger is enjoying his time at Williams, and whilst he may be lauding it over his former team for the moment, that could all change with the rest of the season still to come. Can Williams maintain their decent start and can Renault overcome the slump that has seen everything they try fall to pieces?
Races Entered 95 - Races Completed 64 - Points 433 - Pole Laps 9 - Wins 5 - Podiums 18 - Average Finish 7th - DNF's 31
1x F4 Drivers Runners Up - 2x F4 Constructors Runners Up - 1x F5(FP) Constructors Third Place - One Night Championship Winner

Reply #4
Double podium finish for Haas F1 Team at the Australian Grand Prix

Lars and Chicken were leading the race for a few laps in a 1-2 for Haas

Haas F1 has started the season strong with a double podium finish for the team. Lars won his and Haas F1 Team's first ever race in F4 in the 2018 era and Chicken finished 3rd. The team that struggled last season has picked up already more points than they had last season after just one race in this new season. This is a report of the weekend Haas had.

Qualifying was already showing that Haas has brought a very good car for the new season with Lars getting a pole position with a time of 1:20.664, just 0,002s faster then the Renault of Fragglepaul. Chicken found himself in 4th, just behind the Toro Rosso of Steba420. Chicken was just 0,087s slower then Lars which shows both Haas drivers have similar pace.

In the race Lars had a good start and stayed in 1st place until his pit stop. Chicken was following a few seconds behind Lars after some other drivers made a pit stop. This left Haas F1 Team occupying P1 and P2 for a few laps until Lars came into the pits. He switched to softs. This pit stop caused Chicken to stay out for a lap longer where his Original strategy was to stop on Lap 9, but because Lars was in front he got the first choice for the pit stops. Chicken said the following after the race 'It's annoying if you have to change your strategy when you've already planned your pit stop on that lap, but because Lars was in the lead the team decided it would be better if Lars went in first, which is understandable because it was a opportunity for a great result for the team. In the end i still ended up on the podium, so it's still a great result for both'.

After the pit stops Lars had a long battle with steba420 for over 15 laps. In these laps they stayed within 1 second of eachother the whole time until lap 26, then steba420 lost his wing by running over some debris on the exit of turn 5. Lars could avoid steba and was back into the lead again and was making sure to bring the car home to win the race. On track he won by 1,8s but after penalties he won by 8,8s to MrGrumpy. Chicken got promoted up to 3rd place after the unfortunate incident steba420 had. This gave a Haas an even bigger celebration because they also have the lead in the constructors championship now.

Lars celebrating with the fans after the finish

Lars was very happy with his race win' It's an amazing result to win the first race of the season. It's a reward for the team for all their hard work in the build up to this season. Being on the podium with my teammate Chicken makes it even better. Many thanks to the team and also to the engineers for picking this strategy. All the hard work we have done as a team pays off with this amazing result for the team'

Reply #5

"Williams Admits 'Problems' With Two Car Title Challenge"

After a scintillating, and in many ways, unexpected start to the season from the William's team, they now sit atop both championships. Leading the constructors by a comfortable margin, and sharing the top spot in the drivers standing between Hulkenburger and the ever-present mrgrumpy. However, the team admits such success, nice as it is, brings with it new and unexpected problems. A Williams spokesperson, who wished to remain unnamed, has said:

'It's been a great start obviously, three podiums including one win between both our drivers, and they're both in the title battle which clearly reflects great on the team, but we obviously don't want to favour one driver at this stage, and this causes issues when it comes to the title fight, especially compared to the other teams.

As it stands, we're the only team on the grid with both of our drivers fighting for the championship, and whilst this brings us a lot of pride... you only need to look at the most recent race in Canada to know that it has issues. The two cars always being so close potentially cost us a win through the pits today, we had to compromise the strategy of Hulkenburger in favour of his teammate because he was leading. Obviously, in the end that turned out to be the wrong choice, his teammate crashed, but at the time we had no other option.'

Hulkenburger and his teammate gamefreaker are said to be on friendly terms at present, although neither was available for comment at this time. Will tempers fray as we move further in the season? Will one driver ultimately be asked to step aside for the other for the greater good of the team? Only time will tell, but the Williams team certainly won't want to lose a championship because it failed to make the tough decisions when it mattered.

Reply #6
Gamefreaker : "I'm not gonna be the 2nd driver"

After recent issues in the Williams team, Gamefreaker responded to the media talking about the 'problem' of having 2 drivers of the same team fighting for the title.

The Williams drivers close to each other, like they have been all season

Gamefreaker : "It was a hard day in Canada, you could say I went from hero to zero. I had some mixed feelings after the race, I was happy about the pace from me and Hulk but disappointed I couldn't finish the job. I'm now 18 points behind Hulk and Grumpy but in my opinion that's nothing at the moment, things can change very fast.

I heard about the problems about Hulk's strategy but that's just the way it is when 2 teammates are closely matched on top. We had a good conversation after the race and he agreed it's too early now to put me in the number 2 role. I personally want to decide after Germany what I will do for the rest of the season. If I feel I still have a chance for the title, there will be no team orders.

After 2 poles in a row I'm quite confident I can get closer to the top and fight for the title but we just don't want to bottle it as a team, I feel like more difficult times will be coming in the future but now I'll be focusing on the next race in France!"

Leagues: F4    
Best R Result:  6x1st (F2 Silverstone Season 15, FP Russia Season 18, FP Spain Season 18, F4 Spain Season 20, F4 Silverstone Season 21, F4 France Season 21)
Best Q Result : 9x1st (FP Russia Season 18, FP Spain Season 18, F4 Spain Season 20, F4 Austria Season 20, F4 Malaysia Season 20, F4 Silverstone Season 21, F4 Canada Season 21, F4 France Season 21, F4 Germany Season 21)

Reply #7

"Hulkenburger: 'It's time for Gamefreaker to step aside'"

Despite two somewhat disappointing races in the F4 championship for Williams driver Hulkenburger, he still sits in second in the drivers standings, just three points behind leader mrgrumpy, while his teammate is a full 11 points behind the Mercedes driver in Fifth position. Gamefreaker has won 2 races this season, but a poor start and a poor German grand prix has rendered him unable to capitalise on his strong pace. Williams previously admitted there were issues with handling a '2 car title challenge' but insisted there was no issue between the two drivers; now, in an exclusive Roker Report interview, Hulkenburger has broken his silence on the issue, demanding his teammate stand down and drop his own title challenge.

'It's been a strong season, but now other teams are picking up the pace, and with all of them having just one driver in the title fight, that puts us at a real disadvantage. Gamefreaker has had a great season so far, don't get me wrong, but he's too far behind in my opinion to launch a serious title bid with just five races to go. It's time for him to play the team game, I can't win this title if I'm fighting my own teammate., he needs to stand down and get behind me if we're going to win this thing. Not only that, but I have to say I'm a far better teammate to him than he is to me, I provide him with data, strategy information, setup advice, and get very little in return. It's time he paid me back.'

This is the first sign of disunity we've seen in the Williams garage this season, it remains to be seen what impact, if any, it will have on the track. Will Gamefreaker acquiesce to Hulkenburger's request? Is the request just coming from him, or have the team backed it too? Can Hulkenburger really win the title despite not winning a race so far this season? These are the questions people want answers to, whether Hulkenburger's surprising criticisms of his teammate will have a detrimental effect on the relationship between the two will also be interesting, friendships so often die in fierce title battles, and we may be seeing one more instance of that here.

Reply #8
HUNGARIAN DISASTER FOR WILLIAMS

Gamefreaker during quali testing his pace on a set of ultrasoft, not knewing the race would be a nightmare

It was a day to forget for Williams, both drivers couldn't finish after a race full of incidents.
After a good first half of the season which meant they had a large gap in the constructors championship, Gamefreaker and Hulkenburger both had an awful race which meant no points for Williams for the first time this season.
We spoke with Gamefreaker after the shocking GP for Williams:

Gamefreaker : "I'm so disappointed right now, it's not the first time I crash out of the race when I'm in a good position.
In Canada I was in P4 and now here I was in a provisional P2 so this hurts a lot. Maybe it's the pressure, for me it's the first time I'm battling for a championship in an equal league.  I've contacted someone who can help me mentally to prepare and to forget the pressure. Hopefully this will help in the remaining 4 races.
The next race is my home race so I have to perform there, I'm not happy with a place outside the podium."

CLAIRE WILLIAMS : 'TURNAROUND OF THE SEASON'

Claire Williams hiding her face behind her sunglasses, there were some hard words in the debrief

Claire Williams wasn't a happy woman after the race, she expected more of her drivers.
Sources are telling she had a private word with Gamefreaker and Hulkenburger after the race.
We could find her an hour after the race was finished :

Claire Williams : "This is a big turnaround of the season, before this race, I felt very comfortable but now I realise what a double DNF can mean for the team and our championship hopes. Our lead in the constructors championship has fallen down drastically and MrGrumpy (Mercedes) now has a very good lead in the drivers championship. We can hope he has a bad race in the remaining races but at the moment I feel like both championships are in danger. We need lady luck at our side.

Leagues: F4    
Best R Result:  6x1st (F2 Silverstone Season 15, FP Russia Season 18, FP Spain Season 18, F4 Spain Season 20, F4 Silverstone Season 21, F4 France Season 21)
Best Q Result : 9x1st (FP Russia Season 18, FP Spain Season 18, F4 Spain Season 20, F4 Austria Season 20, F4 Malaysia Season 20, F4 Silverstone Season 21, F4 Canada Season 21, F4 France Season 21, F4 Germany Season 21)