Skip to main content
Topic: [F3] Round 9: Singapore GP - 15/07/18 (Read 241 times) previous topic - next topic

[F3] Round 9: Singapore GP - 15/07/18

Five races remain as we head to Singapore for round nine of the F3 Championship. We'll be under the floodlights for this race, one of two circuits on the season three calendar to feature such a component. The spotlight will surely be on Frome now after winning the Japanese Grand Prix and extending his lead in the championship to 20 points. The McLaren team also managed to claw back four points on their Mercedes rivals.

We stay in the Far East for this round of the championship. After the long sweeping corners of Suzuka, the Marina Bay Circuit will offer a completely different challenge. Barriers are accompanies by 90-degree turns and unforgiving kerbs. The circuit will test a driver's focus and ability to push the limits for the entire 31 lap race. The tight turns and unforgiving track limits could see plenty of time penalties influence the result.

It's important to get the car set up well here. Too much downforce will hinder the only real overtaking opportunities you'll have in the two DRS zones.

Glittering skyscrapers will provide the perfect backdrop for one of the most intense and pivotal races of the season. Will we see rain push this race over the one hour mark? Can Frome keep his cool in the Singapore heat?

Join JP and Ash for all the action this Sunday at 8pm. http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperGodzilla5/featured

Lap Record: 1:45.008 – Lewis Hamilton – Mercedes - 2017

Track Trivia: The safety car has made at least one appearance in every Singapore Grand Prix held to date.

Previous Season Results:
N/A

Questions:
1 - How did the last race go for you? Were you happy with the result?
2 - Are you a fan of the track? Favourite memory here?
3 - Would you be happy to see some rain on track?
4 - Aims for the rest of the season?
5 - Looking forward to the Hungarian GP? Should we expect another great race?
F1 2015 | Races: 22 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 0 | Best Position: 4th(x2) | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: 69 |
F1 2016 | Races: 36 | Poles: 2 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 7 | Best Position: 2nd(x4) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 176 |
F1 2017 | Races: 35 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 5 | Podiums: 14 | Best Position: 1st(x5) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 249 |
F1 2018 | Races: 10 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 1 | Best Position: 2nd(x1) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 38 |
--------------------------------PSGL F1 2017 F4 Season 1 Drivers Champion--------------------------------

Re: [F3] Round 9: Singapore GP - 15/07/18

Reply #1
Bad, made a really dumb mistake which forced me to retire

Yes, 2015, Verstappen starting 1 lap down and finishing P8 was brilliant. 2008 crashgate

No

I’ll have to miss the 2 races after Singapore so staying P10 in the championship is my target. Finishing on the podium in the remaining 3 races i will drive this season is another target.

Hungary won’t be that exciting, because there are almost no spots to overtake
F1 2016 stats: F6 S2 3rd place | F4 S3 10th place
F1 2017 stats: F4 S1 6th place | F4 S2 3th place | F3 S3 15th place | Constructors champion F4 S1 | Constructors 2nd place F4 S2 |
F1 2018 stats: 1 win | 58 points | currently 5th place in the championship
Races: 68 | Race wins: 1 | Podiums: 15 | Pole Positions: 4 | Fastest Laps: 4 | Points: 373 | DNFs: 13 | Seasons in PSGL: 6 | Best result: 1st(1x) |

Reply #2
Disappointed by the lag spike but got a front row seat of AMK bottling it so a solid result 👍🏻

Love this track. Had 2 of my 3 league racing pole positions here but never won.

Wouldn’t mind.

Finish the season review.

Hoping for another 2015 race but I reckon it’ll be a Ferrari dominance.
PSGL Stats |  Races: 66 |  Wins: 5 |  Podiums: 16 |
 Pole Positions: 1 |  Points: 342 | F1 2016 Season 2 F6 Champion |

Reply #3
Yeah very happy! Needed that after a couple of poor races

Not really! I like the race in real life but to drive it just feels very stop start to me and doesn't have any flow to it

If it rains here the game is broken  :)

Definitely just to keep scoring podiums and try to hold on to top spot

It's never an overtaking fest but the weather can sometimes throw up a great race there

Reply #4

It went better than expected. Yes

Yes, I really like Singapore, its a nice street circuit. I enjoyed the races of 2009,2010,2012 and 2014. Massa's pass on Senna (2012) always stands out to me... Kubicas passes in 2010... I also remember thinking that Piquet's crash seemed very strange at the time and then we later found out it was deliberate. In 2014 the two rookies Kvyat and Magnussen were complaining over the radio that they were exhausted. It reiterated how hard that race is on the drivers. Good times.

Doesn't matter to me

The game plan doesn't really change for me, I try to get a respectable finish each race. I never give up though and I'll keep pushing until the very end

Always excited when F1 is on but with the current cars, it'd be a surprise if it was a great race. Hungary needs a weather mix up or some qualifying surprises. They new cars have a tough time following each other and there's really only a couple of overtaking spots. Red bull could do surprisingly well though
From Canada with love  ❤

Career stats | Races: 28 | Podiums: 17 | Wins: 3 | Poles: 1 | DNF: 1 | Points: 241

1x F5 Drivers champion S19
1x F5 constructors champion S19 (Mercedes)
1x F3 Drivers runner up S20
1x F3 constructors champion S20 (Mercedes)

Reply #5
My last race was alright, dunno how I managed to drive with a headache.

Absolutely love this track. My favourite memory of this track is the Alonso win in 2010 where he held off Vettel for the whole race.

I wouldn't mind it, but if it's dry, I'm finally going to turn RL off so I would prefer the dry.

As the top 3 have disappeared out of sight, and the midfield is so close, I'm aiming to get 4th in the drivers and 3rd in the constructors.

Looking forward to Germany first, but I always love watching the Hungarian GP.
F1 2017: F5 S2 2nd place | Constructors 2nd place F5 S2 | F3 S3 currently 7th place | Constructors currently 3rd place F3 S3

Races: 19 | Race wins: 1 | Podiums: 7 | Pole Positions: 1 | Fastest Laps: 2 | Points: 134 | DNFs: 3 | Seasons in PSGL: 2 | Best result: 1st(1x) |

Reply #6
Didn't race.

I don't mind it, definitely a good chance to pick up points as people tend to have incidents. I won't be racing this weekend though, still dog sitting. Best memory would be fighting back from 8th on the grid to finish 2nd in F4 S1.

If it mixes up the grid, sure. I'm sure that'd be good for any neutrals out there.

I'm back for the final four races. I'd like to get a podium. I need a clean weekend and a little bit of luck for that to happen.

I am indeed. Last season wasn't too bad, was it? Seb limping home for the win, closely followed by Kimi and the Mercs.
F1 2015 | Races: 22 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 0 | Best Position: 4th(x2) | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: 69 |
F1 2016 | Races: 36 | Poles: 2 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 7 | Best Position: 2nd(x4) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 176 |
F1 2017 | Races: 35 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 5 | Podiums: 14 | Best Position: 1st(x5) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 249 |
F1 2018 | Races: 10 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 1 | Best Position: 2nd(x1) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 38 |
--------------------------------PSGL F1 2017 F4 Season 1 Drivers Champion--------------------------------

Reply #7
Yeah really happy with a podium after i started 6th. But really mad that I couldn't take p2 after finishing 0.007 behind 2nd place.

Yeah I like this track a lot. Tho one thing is that it takes so long to drive this race haha. So when half of the race has ended you begin to think "well isn't this race over yet". But as I said, I like this track a lot so i dont mind it being such a long race. And best memory is when i came 1st in another league :)

No, I like rain in races. Rain usually spices things up. But on this track i dont like rain at all.

I think this will be my last race of the season as i will go on vacation... So I hope to finish on the podium, But i know it will be hard with some of the fast guys that are in F3.

99% sure I wont race...

Reply #8
See you on the next unfun game.

| 1x WDC Runner Up | 1x WCC Runner Up | 5x Race Winner | Time Trial Enthusiast | Front Wing Destroyer |

Reply #9
Qualifying: 7th

Saw that rain was expected in the race and decided to start on the harder compound supersofts, to avoid having to pit before the rain arrived

Race: 4th

Sluggish off the line, the car sputtered before launching forward. Luckily I was still able to hold off Frome in turn 1 while trying not to hit Stim on the outside of me. These opening laps were extremely tough cause the car was setup for the wet weather, so the goal was to just keep the frontrunners within 10 seconds and make that time up during the crossover point. I managed to maintain a good gap to OTP and the frontrunners weren't really running away with it. I think Steba had some accident on lap 4 because he fell back and I was able to pass him turn 1, around lap 6. Unfortunately the rain arrived a lot sooner than expected and I hadn't gained anything from starting on Supersofts. Lap 7 the rain came and I was able to claw back some time and went to overtake Chullo but clipped the concrete curb under braking, which broke some of my wing. Luckily I was pitting on the same lap but the wing repair cost me time.

I emerged behind Panda and saved some fuel behind him for the end of the race. Had no pressure from behind and the heavy rain is what suited this setup. So when we all pitted for the blue branded 'heavy wets' around lap 21, I came out attacking. Unfortunately at some point Chullo quit or lagged out and it ruined any chance of an overtake. I tried to fall back and then catch up to see if I could maintain momentum for a pass but anytime I got within 8 tenths of panda the car just slid. He caught Otp and appeared to have the same issue. So we all (The top 4) remained in that same formation for about, 16 long laps. Easily one of the most annoying races I've ever had. In hindsight it would've been better to qualify on pole and avoid traffic but the race was unpredictable in the moment. Great recovery drive by AMK though and Panda who came from the back of the grid.
From Canada with love  ❤

Career stats | Races: 28 | Podiums: 17 | Wins: 3 | Poles: 1 | DNF: 1 | Points: 241

1x F5 Drivers champion S19
1x F5 constructors champion S19 (Mercedes)
1x F3 Drivers runner up S20
1x F3 constructors champion S20 (Mercedes)

Reply #10
Q 3rd

Banker lap kept me on provisional pole for a long time, i was a bit surprised about that. On my fastest lap I was already 2 tenths up after turn 3, but bottled rest of sectors 1 & 2. Luckily beat my banker lap by 3 tenths in the last sector, and managed to get decent result. Sadly easy mistakes saw me losing chances for first pole in psgl

R 9th

Was feeling quite okay, even tho didnt have time to practice at all and after the start managed to stay really close to Chullo. On lap 3 I accidently downshifted twice and lost the back end, Aaron got p3 easily. The very next lap in same spot, my sweaty thumb slipped from the pad and I broke my frontwing when touched the wall. After that I had no chance to keep guys behind into turn 1, when they got so much better run from last corner. Lost couple places before the wet, but I were still in the mix as other people had to change their frontwing too. First lap on inters ended in tears, as took too much curb in last corner, span and lost frontwing completily. Had to pit again and lost much time, race over.

Shame thqt I had couple incidents, as my pace where up there in all conditions. Maybe next week

Reply #11
Quali - P6
Getting a top 6 in quali for me is like getting pole.

Race - P2
Decent start. Got Stim into turn 1 and managed to stay on the back of Aaron until both he, Chullo and Steba had issues and I found myself in P2.

Managed to stay within 2 seconds of Rhys and was just a matter of pitting at the right time. Both inters and wets the top 4 nailed and the gap remained at 2 seconds between Rhys and myself. I managed to close up in the final few laps but half spun while pushing and fell back. Don’t think I would’ve got passed with my setup however but it would’ve been nice to try.

Still really happy with P2 given how I was expecting to pass out from dehydration given how much I was sweating.
PSGL Stats |  Races: 66 |  Wins: 5 |  Podiums: 16 |
 Pole Positions: 1 |  Points: 342 | F1 2016 Season 2 F6 Champion |