Skip to main content
Topic: [F3] Round 5: British GP - 17/06/18 (Read 286 times) previous topic - next topic

[F3] Round 5: British GP - 17/06/18

We're heading into round five of the F3 Championship with two drivers currently battling up at the very top. A first win of the season for Frome means he takes back the lead from Paulovic heading into his and most of the grid's home race. He'll be looking to continue his great form as we move towards the midseason point.

We continue in Europe for another round after a great race in the forests of Stavelot. Known as the 'home of British motorsport', Silverstone first hosted the British Grand Prix back in 1948. Over its history, the British Grand Prix has been held in several locations, from Aintree to Brands Hatch and Donington Park. Silverstone has been the permanent location of the British Grand Prix since 1987.

As was the case with the previous race in Belgium, the track often produces great racing and offers many places to make a move. Stick close through the fast section of Abbey and Farm Curve and chuck one down the inside at Village. A move into the loop is certainly possible. Set yourself up for a nice exit and you can get a move done into Brooklands and Luffield. It'll take a brave pair to go side-by-side though Copse and into the fast section that is Maggots and Becketts. Get a clean drive out of Chapel and you've got a decent chance of making it stick into Stowe. Keep an eye out for a divebomb into Vale.

Will we see a fourth winner in the first five races? Can an in form Frome fend off the advances of Paulovic? Will we see a rain shower? Expect some grey clouds to throw up an exciting race.

Join JP and Ash for all the action this Sunday at 8pm. http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperGodzilla5/featured

Lap Record: 1:30.621 - Lewis Hamilton -  Mercedes - 2017

Track Trivia: Over the race weekend, it is estimated that 20,000 bottles of mineral water will be consumed in addition to 10,000 bottles of wine and 6,000 bottles of champagne.

Previous Season Results:
1 - Wocko
2 - Abiodun
3 - Cheater

Questions:
1 - How did the last race go for you? Were you happy with the result?
2 - Who do you expect to see on the podium this week?
3 - Are you a fan of the track? Favourite memory here?
4 - Hoping for some rain this Sunday?
5 - Who do you think will finish in the top three come the end of the season?
6 - How do you think you have improved as a racer since you started league racing?
F1 2015 | Races: 22 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 0 | Best Position: 4th(x2) | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: 69 |
F1 2016 | Races: 36 | Poles: 2 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 7 | Best Position: 2nd(x4) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 176 |
F1 2017 | Races: 35 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 5 | Podiums: 14 | Best Position: 1st(x5) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 249 |
F1 2018 | Races: 1 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 0 | Best Position: DNF | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: 0 |
--------------------------------PSGL F1 2017 F4 Season 1 Drivers Champion--------------------------------

Re: [F3] Round 5: British GP - 17/06/18

Reply #1
Nope, a DNF isn't good. I scored only 1 point after 4 races, so that isn't enough.

Frome, Paul, Friso

Yes, 2008/2016

No

Paul, Frome and jraybay

6 - How do you think you have improved as a racer since you started league racing?
Yes, since i started league racing 17 months ago i've improved by 1.5-2 seconds.
F1 2016 stats: F6 S2 3rd place | F4 S3 10th place
F1 2017 stats: F4 S1 6th place | F4 S2 3th place | F3 S3 15th place | Constructors champion F4 S1 | Constructors 2nd place F4 S2 |
F1 2018 stats: 1 win | 16 points | currently 1st place in both championships
Races: 60 | Race wins: 1 | Podiums: 14 | Pole Positions: 3 | Fastest Laps: 4 | Points: 325 | DNFs: 13 | Seasons in PSGL: 6 | Best result: 1st(1x) |

Reply #2
Greatest drive of my career and best interview ever.

Frome, Sau and Chullo.

Really enjoy the track. Don’t have fond memory’s of league racing there though. IRL would be going to the race in 2016.

If I practiced for the rain I wouldn’t mind it.

Frome, Sau, and I reckon Adventures will steal 3rd on consistency.

Improved massively on the wheel since the start of 2017. Still wonder where I’d be had I stuck with the pad though.
PSGL Stats |  Races: 58 |  Wins: 5 |  Podiums: 15 |
 Pole Positions: 1 |  Points: 305 | F1 2016 Season 2 F6 Champion |

Reply #3
Putting me as a podium prediction is a sure fire way of making me bottle it

| 1x WDC Runner Up | 1x WCC Runner Up | 5x Race Winner | Time Trial Enthusiast | Front Wing Destroyer |

Reply #5
Over the moon! Really happy to take a first F3 win :)

Paul, Raybay and Chullo

Yeah I prefered the old layout but still really good fun. Mansell win was a fav memory!

Hmmmmm, would prefer it to be dry

Paul will be there at the end fighting. Not sure about the other two. I think anyone from myself, Raybay, Chicken, RJ, Chullo.... OTP seems to be in good form too!

A lot more consistent. I think I know when to pick my battles now and when to realise I don't have the pace

Reply #6
1 - How did the last race go for you? Were you happy with the result? - Not discussing it, and nope.
2 - Who do you expect to see on the podium this week? - Frome, Paulo, and AMK if he doesn't get my expensive BOTTLE of wine (get it cos bottlejob, sorry friso).
3 - Are you a fan of the track? Favourite memory here? - I am a massive fan of the track, not my favourite but definitely up there, and my fav moment is the 2014 battle between Vettel and Alonso.
4 - Hoping for some rain this Sunday? - Nope, cos the no assists will kill me, and I'll miss all my braking points without the racing line.
5 - Who do you think will finish in the top three come the end of the season? - The three referenced earlier unless something happens and they leave or get moved up.
6 - How do you think you have improved as a racer since you started league racing? - In all aspects really, cos when I joined PSGL as my first proper league, I had just got a wheel and was so slow it was like palmer had taken over from me.
F1 2017: F5 S2 2nd place | Constructors 2nd place F5 S2 | F3 S3 currently 7th place | Constructors currently 3rd place F3 S3

Races: 19 | Race wins: 1 | Podiums: 7 | Pole Positions: 1 | Fastest Laps: 2 | Points: 134 | DNFs: 3 | Seasons in PSGL: 2 | Best result: 1st(1x) |

Reply #7

All over the place really. No, not really happy with the result, but in a weird way, sort of. Gained 11 positions from where I started, so it could've been much worse.

Frome and 2 other people

Yeah its a nice circuit. I liked the old circuit as well. Don't really have a single favorite memory but the shock win from Alonso in 2011 was a great drive. I also liked watching massa spin about 4 times in 2008. Enjoyed the 2009 race, for Red Bulls confirmation of speed and Brawn finally being caught. The 2010 race was also a fun watch "Not bad for a number 2 driver" etc.

Not really but I'm prepared either way

Frome and 2 other people. My season has been trashed but I never give up.

First F1 2017 race I ever did was Austria last season... I was horrible. Its hard to pinpoint one thing but my pace has come a long way. I can achieve lap times I never thought possible at one point. A lot of people have helped me along the way, and a lot of people continue to do so. Its a lot of fun here

From Canada with love  ❤

Reply #8
Not happy. Dirty driving by most of the drivers at the start, lost me like 4 positions. Then finished 9th I think. Maybe it was better than 9th, don't really remember tbh...

My teammate, Frome and AMK

Yes I'm a big fan. And my best memory was when I first won a league race it was on this track :)

No, Will race with no TC from now on. So the first race with rain would probably see me in the wall haha.

1. Paulovic
2. Frome
3. AMK

Much. my first league race I was one of the slowest drivers in the lowest tiers, and now I'm mostly in the middle/ top tiers.

Reply #9
It was mediocre at best. Can't help but be disappointed with it.

Frome, AMK and Sau.

It's pretty good, lots of fun with the higher downforce cars. Best memory is probably from F1 2017 F4 Season 1. I qualified down the order and the race was wet throughout. I kept it clean, made moves when the time was right and ended up getting a podium finish. Same sorta thing happened last season too.

Seeing as both races I've done on this game were wet and they both resulted in podiums, I wouldn't mind it.

I have to assume Frome will be up there, given his form. I think Sau will push him close. AMK will be fighting with them too.

I'm more consistent. I'm a little smoother on the steering. I know when to fight and when to not bother too much. Hopefully that'll come good again at some point this season.
F1 2015 | Races: 22 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 0 | Best Position: 4th(x2) | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: 69 |
F1 2016 | Races: 36 | Poles: 2 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 7 | Best Position: 2nd(x4) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 176 |
F1 2017 | Races: 35 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 5 | Podiums: 14 | Best Position: 1st(x5) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 249 |
F1 2018 | Races: 1 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 0 | Best Position: DNF | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: 0 |
--------------------------------PSGL F1 2017 F4 Season 1 Drivers Champion--------------------------------

Reply #10
Qualifying: P2

Right off the bat its tricky inter conditions to start the session so it was going to mix the grid up a bit which is always nice. I fueled the car to do about 4 continuous laps but had to abort the first one. Coming back around to start lap 2, DRS was activated and I had just passed pitlane, so had to come all the way back around as the track dried. It was a bit of a blessing in disguise though because I ended up being one of the last cars to make it back around for a flying lap, and whoever was last would probably get pole. I actually thought I was last but Rhys snuck in there and put a good lap in.

Race: 2nd

Good start, bit of wheelspin in the 2nd and 3rd gear upshifts but it was clean enough. I settled in behind Rhys because I wanted to baby the SS's so I didn't have to use the medium tire. I stayed behind Rhys until lap 9 I believe and carried on for another lap. The tires felt good but in the slow speed corners I had spun the tires up and probably overestimated their remaining grip levels. I knew lap 10 wasn't a great lap so I pitted immediately after thinking I'd rejoin in 2nd but when I came out I had lost time to Rhys and frome.

The out lap Frome put in was quite startling. The undercut worked out very well for him. He was now where I thought I'd emerge, so had to put the hammer down and try to stay close. Without slipstream it was always going to be tough so I was hoping Rhys could hold him up but Frome made short work of him and I spent a lap behind Rhys while Frome drove off in the distance. Frome and I then traded laps until the end but he was driving really well today and I couldn't close that gap. Its good to at least finish 2nd and not lose positions. Of course P1 would be nicer but After all the struggles of this season and the poor/ unlucky results, 2nd was actually a good feeling. No drama today, good race.  
From Canada with love  ❤

Reply #11
Qualifying - P4
My best qualifying in a while. Seem to only do well in quali when it’s changable conditions. Could’ve got onto the front row had I been a bit more aggressive but still happy with it.

Race - DNF
Managed to hold position on lap 1, been a while since I’ve managed that. Stayed in P4 until all hell broke loose. I imagine Plusnet is like that psycho ex girlfriend somehow manages to ruin everything despite not being involved. Anyway I pulled over and let everyone through but I was still lagging so I pulled in and retired. Surprised I wasn’t mad in the slightest. Guessing I’m still on a high from last race but I’m missing next race so will look to bounce back in China.
PSGL Stats |  Races: 58 |  Wins: 5 |  Podiums: 15 |
 Pole Positions: 1 |  Points: 305 | F1 2016 Season 2 F6 Champion |

Reply #12
Q: P5

Not too bad. I didn't set a lap on the inters and came out too early on the dry tyres. I set a couple of laps while it was still wet but everyone had another lap I think so was over a second slower.

R: P1

Wasn't expecting that after qualy! Start was okay and was behind Connor. He dropped back due to his lag so made a place up and then took cheater a couple of laps later. Managed to undercut Raybay in the stops and he was held up by Rhys after I took the lead which gave me a nice gap. After that I was just trading laps with Raybay but we seemed to have similar pace so was able to come home with another win. Really happy with my season so far  :)

Reply #13
My race highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6puOuPDIv0k

Q: 11th
Was drifting all over the track during my first run. On my 2nd run my lap got invalidated at Stowe. Managed to still get a time on the boards although i had a half spin through turn 1 and 2.

R: DNF
Lost a bit of my front wing because people in front decided to break for turn 1. I had to make a stop at the end of that lap because my car felt like a boat. Went onto Supersofts and 2 laps later my car decides to spin at the exit of copse causing me to make another pit stop for a new front wing + tyres. when i came out of the pit lane i already was lapped on lap 4. I made sure everyone got past me before i started to push. I managed to keep up with the cars ahead but on lap 7 boogster rejoined the track unsafe, so i couldn't avoid him anymore causing a spectacular crash at 255km/h.
F1 2016 stats: F6 S2 3rd place | F4 S3 10th place
F1 2017 stats: F4 S1 6th place | F4 S2 3th place | F3 S3 15th place | Constructors champion F4 S1 | Constructors 2nd place F4 S2 |
F1 2018 stats: 1 win | 16 points | currently 1st place in both championships
Races: 60 | Race wins: 1 | Podiums: 14 | Pole Positions: 3 | Fastest Laps: 4 | Points: 325 | DNFs: 13 | Seasons in PSGL: 6 | Best result: 1st(1x) |

Reply #14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJMaIQ2MOOk&ab_channel=LewisBell

Q: 3rd

Went out later than everyone during the first runs which meant I was also out later for the second runs on dry tyres. Basically lucked into a good starting position.

R: 9th

Held position on the first lap. Slowly fell back from the leading pair. Frome had no issues getting past either. I had no intention of fighting him as I wasn't really fighting for the same position, the pace difference was great. Lap 8 saw Boogster get up close. We had a nice little side-by-side fight, very fair. Unfortunately we both attempted to go through the fast S section. Racing incident. Hobbled back to the pits for a set of the mediums.

Closed in on Notorious for a few laps and made a move on the Hangar straight after he made a slight error. From there it was just about keeping it on the track and not picking up any penalties. Gained another place on the line after Friso had his penalties applied.

So disappointing. It's the hope that kills you, isn't it? Well done to the top three!