Skip to main content
Topic: [F3] Round 2: Brazilian GP - 20/05/18 (Read 137 times) previous topic - next topic

[F3] Round 2: Brazilian GP - 20/05/18

Last time out in Australia we saw AMK pull a great performance out of the bag to win his F3 debut race and take the lead of the championship, something he'll be looking to extend. The McLaren duo of FlyingFrome and Chicken would round out the podium to go level with the Mercedes team in the constructors standings.

We head to Brazil for round two of the F3 Championship. Cancelled last season, this track always throws up some great racing and an even greater chance of a downpour. Situated in São Paulo, the Autódromo José Carlos Pace Circuit is an old-school circuit, a narrow track complimented with little runoff area provides a real challenge to the drivers and their concentration over the 36 lap race.

There are several places to make a move around this track. The long run into turn one, accompanied by DRS, provides the perfect opportunity for such a thing. You won't have to wait long for the next chance as DRS provides another chance to get the job done into turn four. A lunge is usually the order going into sector two. Stick close through there and you'll be in the perfect position to have another go down the home straight.

AMK showed exactly what he was capable of taking both pole and the win Down Under. Can he build on that here in Brazil? Can the McLaren duo back up their round one result with another double podium finish? Expect some grey clouds to throw up an exciting race.

Join JP and Ash for all the action this Sunday at 8pm. http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperGodzilla5/featured

Lap Record: 1:11.044 - Max Verstappen - Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer RB13 - 2017

Track Trivia: Four different Brazilian drivers have won grands prix at Interlagos. Carlos Pace won once, Emerson Fittipaldi, Ayrton Senna and Felipe Massa each won twice at the circuit.

Previous Season Results:
N/A.

Questions:
1 - How did the last race go for you? Were you happy with the result?
2 - Who do you expect to see on the podium this week?
3 - Are you a fan of the track? Favourite memory here?
4 - Do you expect to see McLaren further up the field in Monaco?
5 - Who do you see being replaced on the real grid, if anyone, this season?

F1 2015 | Races: 22 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 0 | Best Position: 4th(x2) | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: Not a clue. |
F1 2016 | Races: 36 | Poles: 2 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 7 | Best Position: 2nd(x4) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 176 |
F1 2017 | Races: 27 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 5 | Podiums: 14 | Best Position: 1st(x5) | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: 225 |
--------------------------------PSGL F1 2017 F4 Season 1 Drivers Champion--------------------------------

Re: [F3] Round 2: Brazilian GP - 20/05/18

Reply #1
Nope, could’ve got a podium

I don’t know, the grid looks close this season so it could be anyone

Yes, 2008

Nope

Grosjean or Hartley
F1 2016: F6 S2 3rd place | F4 S3 10th place
F1 2017:F4 S1 6th place | F4 S2 3th place | Constructors champion F4 S1 | Constructors 2nd place F4 S2 | F3 S3 currently 10th place

Races: 51 | Race wins: 0 | Podiums: 13 | Pole Positions: 2 | Fastest Laps: 4 | Points: 289 | DNFs:6 | Seasons in PSGL: 5 | Best result: 2nd(6x) |

Reply #2
Pretty happy with P2 to start the season  :)

AMK will probably be quick everywhere. I'll go for Cheater and Sophie to join him

Yeah great track! Not a Hamilton fan but you can't really beat 08 for drama!

I think McLaren are a bit lost. They are a mile off Red Bull with the same PU. I think the Honda engine has been used as an excuse for the last few seasons. Their car is ordinary!

Hartley won't see out the season :(

Reply #3
First time I've scored points in the first race of the season so really happy.

AMK, Chicken and Adventures

One of my favourite tracks. IRL memory would be Hulkenberg's pole in 2010. In game would be last season's "practice" session when PSN was having a meltdown. 

Half of McLaren at least

Grosjean if he doesn't pull his weight soon. Possibly Vandoorne but think that's unlikely.
PSGL Stats |  Races: 47 |  Wins: 5 |  Podiums: 12 |
 Pole Positions: 1 |  Points: 254  | F1 2016 Season 2 F6 Champion |

Reply #4

Wasn't great, it was essentially ruined in qualifying. I should've started 1st or 2nd and finished there, so no, the result sucked.

Hard to predict this Sunday.

No. Favorite memory as a Hamilton fan it'd have to be 2008, final corner, last lap, the drama,  but in general, it'd be the crazy 2003 Grand Prix, with Jordan getting a shock victory. I was very young and it was one of the first races that made me think to myself that F1 is awesome. It really captured my heart that day.

Yes because its not a power sensitive circuit and their chassis is pretty good. They've traditionally done alright there.

Unfortunately Hartley could be on the outside looking in and get the kvyat treatment soon, also VanDoorne because of emergence of Lando Norris but that may be later tbh.
From Canada with love

Reply #5
Not well at all. It was a bloody letdown. Really need to do better this week.

AMK, Adventures and Frome.

It's not too bad, not my best track though. Best memory IRL would be the 2006 race. Schumi's (first) final race. An early puncture saw him have to make his way back through the field. In the game it would be my podium in F1 2016 F4 Season 3 Race 9. It was raining lightly from the start, too dry for wets though. Started 7th, kept my nose clean and picked the perfect time to change to inters and then back to the dry tyres. Guided the car home to a nice 3rd place.

I hope so. If there's anyone that can drag that car up the grid, as we've seen already, it's Fernando.

All signs look like it could be Hartly. Hopefully everyone is given enough time to really show their potential. I don't like the constant need to chop and change.

F1 2015 | Races: 22 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 0 | Best Position: 4th(x2) | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: Not a clue. |
F1 2016 | Races: 36 | Poles: 2 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 7 | Best Position: 2nd(x4) | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 176 |
F1 2017 | Races: 27 | Poles: 0 | Wins: 5 | Podiums: 14 | Best Position: 1st(x5) | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: 225 |
--------------------------------PSGL F1 2017 F4 Season 1 Drivers Champion--------------------------------

Reply #7
Qualifying: Pole position

The lap wasn't really clean. Had off throttle oversteer in the downhill left hander, middle sector, and also lost the rear in the final corner coming up the hill. I was expecting to start P4 or 5 but the track felt greasy and I don't think anyone set a clean lap. Either way, heading into the race I knew my pace would be much better and I was looking forward to that.

Race: P9

I wasn't really ready for the start because it seemed like we were going to restart but nothing came of that and the race continued on. I had a good start but Chullo had a nose inside of me and I had to leave room. After last weeks cheap penalty I also gave lots of room to a car I couldn't see *at the time* and it cost me 2nd being so generous.  In qualifying I had committed to a full dry setup and didn't think twice about it, so I knew the opening laps would be tough. I used the first couple of laps to save fuel and then attack. It was tough because Aaron was pressuring from behind.

I think lap 4 or 5 I had caught up to Chullo and on the straightaway his car lagged through mine, lifting it off of the ground and into the wall. I went from 3rd to 17th.... I was so annoyed with that I unknowingly left the car in rich, losing everything in the tank on the way back to the pits, haha. As I let the cars pass me I didn't see my teammates name pop up though, so I knew something happened to him as well and our race wasn't going too well.

After I pit to replace the front wing I just tried to get back in the points and fly the flag for Mercedes. Spent pretty much, the rest of the race behind boogster who was setting a good enough pace and managed to go from 17th to 9th. I believe I had the fastest laps in all 3 weather phases of the race, the car was great and had race winning pace clearly, so the result really sucks for the 2nd race in a row now, but it won't change. Hopefully it's a better result in Bahrain. 
From Canada with love

Reply #8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8879CX1jWxM

Q: 12th

As you'll have read numerous times, I discovered the reason behind my poor pace in the last race. Unfortunately it wasn't long before this one started, no time to look for a quick fix. It wasn't too much of a hindrance in quali, I'm just not that quick over one lap.

R: DNF

Very heavy rain. This is where my real problems started. I had to make a decision through and out of every corner. Feather the throttle and have the possibility of not actually getting to 100% throttle or floor it, knowing I'd at least have full throttle, with the knowledge that I was most likely going to lose the back end.

Got a nice, clean start. Visibility was bloody awful. Gained a couple of places going into turns four and five. A tap from the side by Adventures sent me into a bit of a slide, nothing major. Some places lost, not the end of the world. Tried to hang alongside Boogster through the middle sector, couldn't quite manage it. Actually gave the barrier a good bump through the final bend, no idea how I didn't get damage from that. Lost another place to Wee Rhys through that. Lap three saw my issue come to light once again. Put the power down through turn five hoping for the best, lost the back end. Caught it and flicked it the other way. I had no choice but to pit for a new wing.

Lap 11 saw an opportunistic move on Notorious into turn 10. I believe he was struggling on those inters, probably on them a couple of laps too early. Lap 12 saw everyone pitting for the inters. I'm exiting the pits, touch the wall and BANG! My tyre is miles away and I'm sat in the middle of turn one.

Congrats to Paulovic on the win, a great drive in tricky conditions. 'Gratz to Frome on another second place and the lead of the championship! And to RJDW, so close to nabbing that position off Frome. Looking forward to racing again! Hopefully my fix will be hold out!

https://twitter.com/CheaterF1/status/998947826808819713