Skip to main content
Topic: #JusticeForBadBoy (Read 446 times) previous topic - next topic

#JusticeForBadBoy

#Justice for Badboy

Race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igYzAiddQVw

Penalty in question can be seen at 59.05, Results visible at 1.12.01

Towards the end of lap 26 G2_mrstim96 is given a 5 second stop-and-go penalty.
Make note of the bit that says Stop-and-go, it becomes important later on in this post.
The gap between Badboy and stim was roughly around 8.7 seconds before they crossed over the finish line. After crossing the finish line the gap is 5.7 seconds.
This means that the game has applied 3 seconds more penalties to stim then to Badboy.
On the results screen (1.12.01 in the video) it becomes evident that the game has only applied 6 seconds to stims finishing time and not 16 seconds like it says he has.

This is where you might get confused but I will do my best to explain why BadBoy should be promoted to 1st. And to do this I need a rule book to check with, why not the F1 rule book?
F1 Rule book: https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110
For the sake of consistency with the game I will be using the last draft released for the 2017 season. If you could all open said document and read Section 38 before continuing that would be great because I fear this will get confusing for some of due to arguing this case elsewhere already.

38.3 The stewards may impose any one of the penalties below on any driver involved in an
Incident:
a) A five second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least five seconds and then re-join the race. The relevant driver may however elect not to stop, provided he carries out no further pit stop before the end of the race. In such cases five seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned.
 b) A ten second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race. The relevant driver may however elect not to stop, provided he carries out no further pit stop before the end of the race. In such cases ten seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned. In both of the above cases the driver concerned must carry out the penalty the next time he enters the pit lane.
 c) A drive-through penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane and re-join the race without stopping.
d) A ten second stop-and-go time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race.

If any of the four penalties above are imposed upon a driver, and that driver is unable to serve the penalty due to retirement from the race, the stewards may impose a grid place penalty on the driver at his next Event.
If any of the four penalties above are imposed during the last three laps, or after the end of a race, Article 38.4(b) below will not apply and five seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned in the case of (a) above, 10 seconds in the case of (b), 20 seconds in the case of (c) and 30 seconds in the case of (d).
e) A time penalty.
f) A reprimand.
g) A drop of any number of grid positions at the driver’s next Event.
If any of the seven penalties above are imposed they shall not be subject to appeal.
h) Disqualification from the results.
i) Suspension from the driver’s next Event.

38.4 Should the stewards decide to impose either of the penalties under Article 38.3(a), (b), (c) or (d), the following procedure will be followed:
a) The stewards will give written notification of the penalty which has been imposed to the competitor concerned and will inform all teams via the official messaging system.
b) With the exception of Articles 38.3(a) and (b) above, from the time the team concerned is notified of the stewards’ decision via the official messaging system the relevant driver may cross the Line on the track no more than twice before entering the pit lane and, in the case of a penalty under Article 38.3(d), proceeding to his garage where he shall remain for the period of the time penalty. However, unless the driver was already in the pit entry for the purpose of serving his penalty, he may not carry out the penalty if the VSC procedure is in use or after the safety car has been deployed. The number of times the driver crosses the Line behind the safety car or during the VSC procedure will be added to the maximum number of times he may cross the Line on the track.
c) Whilst a car is stationary in the pit lane as a result of incurring a penalty under Articles 38.3(a) or (b) above it may not be worked on until the car has been stationary for the duration of the penalty. d) Whilst a car is stationary in the pit lane as a result of incurring a time penalty under Article 38.3(d) above it may not be worked on. However, if the engine stops it may be started after the time penalty period has elapsed.

After reading thru section 38 of the FIA F1 rule book there some things you should keep in mind when assessing the legitimacy of penalties given by the game.
1.   A 5 second time penalty and a 5 second Stop-And-Go penalty are not the same thing despite people wanting to believe it is.
2.   A stop-and-go penalty has to be served by the driver stopping in his pit box for the time required. A driver may only decide to not serve his stop-and-go penalty in the race if it has been given to him in the last 3 laps of the race. In this case he would have had a time penalty applied to him. In the case of a ten second stop and go this would see 30 seconds added on to the drivers finishing time.
3.   A stop and go penalty has to served within the driver crossing the start finish line 2 times, failure to do so will result in the driver being black flagged.

Now that we have read the rule book there are some things we should take away.
1.   G2_mrstim96 has failed to correctly stop in his pit box and serve his Stop-And-Go penalty.
2.   According to the FIA rule book G2_mrstim96 should be disqualified for failing to serve his penalty.
3.   A stop-and-go penalty and a time penalty are still not the same thing.
4.   Stopping to serve a time penalty is optional
5.   Stopping to serve a Stop-And-Go penalty is not optional it is in fact mandatory

Now let’s break down the way the game has penalized the driver in question. The game had 10 seconds that were not applied to the drivers finishing time.
Statement: All 10 seconds of the penalties not applied are legitimate and should’ve been applied after the fact, either by the stewards or the admins.
I’ve chosen to split the 10 seconds into two 5 second penalties because this is what the game did.
5 second Stop-and-go for speeding into the pit lane.
5 second time penalty for the driver failing to correctly serve his Stop-and-go.
5+5=10, it’s not a display as I’ve heard some of you say. The game is correct in applying ten seconds worth of penalties.
I’ll repeat this once again as there may still be confusion. A time penalty and a Stop-And-Go penalty are not the same thing. It is optional to serve a time penalty in the pit lane. It is not optional to serve a Stop-And-Go penalty in the pits unless it has been applied in the last three laps of the race. If the penalty had been given in the last 3 laps of the race the 10 second total penalty would’ve still been correct.
I have now proven using the rule book and not by the way of I feel like the admins did when making the initial decision.

Option 1
This option takes the real rules and rather than trying to proven the game right of wrong I’ve sidestepped it and showed you what the outfall in the real world would be.
In this Option G2_mrstim96 is disqualified from the race and Badboy is declared the winner.

Option 2
This option is based entirely on proving the admins in question have made the wrong decision. I have explained to you why the 10 second penalty is in fact valid and that it should’ve been applied after the race had finished.
In this option G2_mrstim96 is demoted to second and Badboy is declared the winner.
A time penalty and a Stop-And-Go penalty are not the same despite it seeming like not only some of the admins in PSGL but also some stewards believe they are.
You don’t have to serve a time penalty but you do have to serve a Stop-And-Go. The only thing broken in this case isn’t the extra 5 seconds, it is that the game doesn’t tell him to stop and serve his penalty.

#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
#JusticeForBadBoy
PSGL Stats | Races: 5 | Wins: 3 | Podiums: 4 |
Pole Positions: 3 | Points: 70 |

Re: #JusticeForBadBoy

Reply #1
This is stupid...

Option 1 is completely out of the question because we run by F1 2017 game and PSGL rules, not the official FIA rules.

Option 2 still uses rules that you have picked from the FIA rule book meaning you're basically saying things from option 1 but missing out the part where he was disqualified. The game gives you the option to serve your stop-go or not and it is only a 5 second penalty according to the game. If we were talking real life then I agree with you, however this the game and we have to deal with the rules put into it.

I consider myself completely unbiased in this as well being a rival and buddy of Badboy since we were in F6 and the same with Stim.
F1 Driver

F1 Stats: | Races: 23 | Wins: 7 | Podiums: 10 | Pole Positions: 7 | Fastest Laps: 5 | Points: 190 |
| F1 2017 F3 Season 2 Drivers Champion |

FP Stats: | Races: 5 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 1 | Pole Positions: 0 | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: 28 |

GT Sport Stats: | Races: 2 | Wins: 0 | Podiums: 0 | Pole Positions: 0 | Fastest Laps: 0 | Points: 20 |

Reply #2
#Justice for Badboy

Race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igYzAiddQVw

Penalty in question can be seen at 59.05, Results visible at 1.12.01

38.3 The stewards may impose any one of the penalties below on any driver involved in an
Incident:
a) A five second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least five seconds and then re-join the race. The relevant driver may however elect not to stop, provided he carries out no further pit stop before the end of the race. In such cases five seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned.
 b) A ten second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race. The relevant driver may however elect not to stop, provided he carries out no further pit stop before the end of the race. In such cases ten seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned. In both of the above cases the driver concerned must carry out the penalty the next time he enters the pit lane.
 c) A drive-through penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane and re-join the race without stopping.
d) A ten second stop-and-go time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race.

After reading thru section 38 of the FIA F1 rule book there some things you should keep in mind when assessing the legitimacy of penalties given by the game.
1.   A 5 second time penalty and a 5 second Stop-And-Go penalty are not the same thing despite people wanting to believe it is.

Show me in the rules where it ever states the existence of a five second Stop-and-Go penalty. It references a 10 second Stop-and-Go, but insofar as I can see there is no 5 second version. The game may call it that, but it is either incorrect in doing so or is merely calling it that to make it easier for people to understand what would happen should they pit, it is clear that it is actually the games representation of a five second penalty that is commonly awarded in the real life Formula One competition. Ergo, stim has no requirement to pit and serve the time penalty, because the penalty you are attempting to claim he was awarded does not exist in the FIA rule book.
F1 Race Statistics and Achievements
Races Completed 53 - Points 351 - Pole Laps 9 - Wins 5 - Podiums 15
1x F4 Drivers Runners Up - 2x F4 Constructors Runners Up - 1x F5(FP) Constructors Third Place - One Night Championship Winner

Reply #3

Show me in the rules where it ever states the existence of a five second Stop-and-Go penalty. It references a 10 second Stop-and-Go, but insofar as I can see there is no 5 second version. The game may call it that, but it is either incorrect in doing so or is merely calling it that to make it easier for people to understand what would happen should they pit, it is clear that it is actually the games representation of a five second penalty that is commonly awarded in the real life Formula One competition. Ergo, stim has no requirement to pit and serve the time penalty, because the penalty you are attempting to claim he was awarded does not exist in the FIA rule book.

By that logic you might as well turn of track limits seeing as a 3 second time penalty doesnt exist in the FIA rule book. A stop-and-go penalty is what it is regardless of how long you have to stop for. A 5 second stop and go penalty not existing in FIA's rule book does not they cant exist in the game while being treated as such. The penalties in the game are few and far between and most of them don't exist in real life either.

I understand where you are coming from that's not the problem. If in a Hypothetical we were to race without the penalties in the game that don't exist in real life we would be racing without penalties. A stop-and-go is still a stop and go and a time penalty and a stop-and-go are still different.

Reply #4
THis is too funny to read I'll be honest
F1 2017 F3 Stats | Races: 5 | Wins: 1 | Podiums: 2 | Pole Positions: 2 | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 32 | DNFs: 2
PSGL F1 2016 F6 Season 2 Constructors Champion
PSGL F1 2016 F6 Season 2 Drivers Runner Up
PSGL F1 2017 FP Season 1 Constructors Runner Up

PSGL F1 2017 FP Season 1 Drivers 3rd Place

Reply #5

By that logic you might as well turn of track limits seeing as a 3 second time penalty doesnt exist in the FIA rule book. A stop-and-go penalty is what it is regardless of how long you have to stop for. A 5 second stop and go penalty not existing in FIA's rule book does not they cant exist in the game while being treated as such. The penalties in the game are few and far between and most of them don't exist in real life either.

I understand where you are coming from that's not the problem. If in a Hypothetical we were to race without the penalties in the game that don't exist in real life we would be racing without penalties. A stop-and-go is still a stop and go and a time penalty and a stop-and-go are still different.
We can't pick and choose which sections of the official rule book we use; either we use it in its entirety, loopholes and all, or we go by our own rules and conventions. Since, as you so correctly pointed out, the game is inconsistent in how accurately it follows the FIA rules, I, and I believe I am joined by most of the admin staff in this belief, that we should be going by the rules we have set in the various rule threads on the forum. If a loophole or inconsistency exists it can be updated by us far quicker than the FIA would get round to doing it.
1x F4 Drivers Runners Up - 2x F4 Constructors Runners Up - 1x F5(FP) Constructors Third Place - One Night Championship Winner

Reply #6
Right this is annoying me.

Just to out everything to place.

- I run F3 Twitter page WITH other admins and they help me write posts sometimes and they have their say in posts too.
- I had NO say in this decision and it was down to F3 admins and admins team of PSGL.
- From investigation the game is right with maths adding only 5s but displaying is wrong as it shows 10s.
- PSGL DOES NOT run FIA rules. The f1 2017 game DOES NOT use complete set of rules. Hence why FIA rules and Game functions are different.
- As @Hulkenburger has mentioned it, PSGL has it's own rules. SINCE S1 when this issue was discovered EVERY CASE that when SOMEONE got 5s stop go and don't serve it in pits, it's 5s to the race time as Hulk mentioned most admins agree with this.

Also bringing Rule 38.3 Part A
 A five second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least five seconds and then re-join the race. The relevant driver may however elect NOT TO STOP, provided he carries out no further pit stop before the end of the race. In such cases FIVE seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned.
F1 2017 F3 Stats | Races: 5 | Wins: 1 | Podiums: 2 | Pole Positions: 2 | Fastest Laps: 1 | Points: 32 | DNFs: 2

Reply #7
Although I agree with most of what you wrote Rotard's the problem is, like Hulk pointed out, the rules in the game and real life don't always marry up so it is kind of picking and choosing. I appreciated the effort you have gone to but this isn't real life. It doesn't really matter if we give 5 or 10 second penalties. We have our own rules in other area's that are unique to PSGL and not in real F1. All that matters is we pick either 5 or 10 seconds and implanment it across all the leagues so everyone knows the rules.

We didn't just give Stim the win. I would have rather Badboy taken it to be honest as he said he's never picked up a win before (no offence stimy). We checked in the admin chat to see what has been done previously and it looked like 5 seconds was the majority.

Reply #8
In the thread:
Pointless bickering for something that was sorted out shortly after the race and that badboy accepted himself.
Seriously at this rate there is going to be a discussion about this every day.

Reply #9
Forum functionality for writing big post isn’t the greatest, this is copy pasted form a different program.
Hulkenburger
We can't pick and choose which sections of the official rule book we use; either we use it in its entirety, loopholes and all, or we go by our own rules and conventions.

PSGL don’t cover this as far as I am aware. Please link it if does somewhere
Since, as you so correctly pointed out, the game is inconsistent in how accurately it follows the FIA rules, I, and I believe I am joined by most of the admin staff in this belief, that we should be going by the rules we have set in the various rule threads on the forum. If a loophole or inconsistency exists it can be updated by us far quicker than the FIA would get round to doing it.

The 5 second stop-and-go has been like this since day 1 of the game. The game has been full of broken features since release and I’ve spent almost a full hour looking thru the forum hoping you the administrative team had made posts addressing some of the many issues we have seen in the game since release. I was disappointed to say the least, but I’ll refrain from saying more bad things about it as there is a slight chance that I did miss it. Please link if it does exist.

Mrstim
Right this is annoying me.

Just to out everything to place.

- I run F3 Twitter page WITH other admins and they help me write posts sometimes and they have their say in posts too.
I don’t care, a twitter page is the least of the problem here.
- I had NO say in this decision and it was down to F3 admins and admins team of PSGL.
I’d like to believe you, but I don’t.
- From investigation the game is right with maths adding only 5s but displaying is wrong as it shows 10s.
Gap would have been less than one second if game did it right, not counting the socalled display glitch. If you do the math manually the gap is less than a second
- PSGL DOES NOT run FIA rules. The f1 2017 game DOES NOT use complete set of rules. Hence why FIA rules and Game functions are different.
PSGL rules are lackluster at best considering what competing leagues have as rules. Regarding the game and FIA I don’t have anything more to say.
- As @Hulkenburger has mentioned it, PSGL has it's own rules. SINCE S1 when this issue was discovered EVERY CASE that when SOMEONE got 5s stop go and don't serve it in pits, it's 5s to the race time as Hulk mentioned most admins agree with this.
Rules are lackluster and hard to find. It sounds like this has been a issue more then once during this game. The fact that it still isn’t in the rulebook isn’t only a joke at this point, it’s a slap in the face.

Also bringing Rule 38.3 Part A
 A five second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least five seconds and then re-join the race. The relevant driver may however elect NOT TO STOP, provided he carries out no further pit stop before the end of the race. In such cases FIVE seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned.
Did you even read my post? You had a stop and go and not a time penalty. Rule 38.3 Part A isn’t even slightly relevant.

FlyingFrome

Although I agree with most of what you wrote Rotard's the problem is, like Hulk pointed out, the rules in the game and real life don't always marry up so it is kind of picking and choosing. I appreciated the effort you have gone to but this isn't real life. It doesn't really matter if we give 5 or 10 second penalties. We have our own rules in other area's that are unique to PSGL and not in real F1. All that matters is we pick either 5 or 10 seconds and implanment it across all the leagues so everyone knows the rules.
Can you for the love of god stop talking about these rules and maybe link them. The game has been broken since the release. There’s no excuse for it taking this long for the rules to updated to fix stuff like this.

We didn't just give Stim the win. I would have rather Badboy taken it to be honest as he said he's never picked up a win before (no offence stimy). We checked in the admin chat to see what has been done previously and it looked like 5 seconds was the majority.
This is debatable depending on who you ask unfortunately.

Chullocookie
In the thread:
Pointless bickering for something that was sorted out shortly after the race and that badboy accepted himself.
Seriously at this rate there is going to be a discussion about this every day.

This is less about what happened on Sunday and more about making an example out of it. If you can’t see past the example then you have little to contribute with.
The problem here isn’t the game or the admins for that part.
The problem is the lack of updates made to the rules throughout the season. Rules to stop discussions like this happening. The problem isn’t what they’ve done it’s what they’ve neglected.

Reply #10
‘This is debatable depending on who you ask unfortunately’

Care to elaborate on that? I didn’t know my honesty was in question. I literally didn’t know if it should be 5 or 10 seconds. I asked the other admins and was told 5. That’s that. Also, the same thing happened in FP last season at Britain between me and Friso and I was given 5 seconds so thought that was the correct ruling. I’m happy to discuss it with Badboy but as he hasn’t mentioned it to me since the race I assumed he was okay with the decision.

Reply #11
Forum functionality for writing big post isn’t the greatest, this is copy pasted form a different program.
Hulkenburger
We can't pick and choose which sections of the official rule book we use; either we use it in its entirety, loopholes and all, or we go by our own rules and conventions.

PSGL don’t cover this as far as I am aware. Please link it if does somewhere
Since, as you so correctly pointed out, the game is inconsistent in how accurately it follows the FIA rules, I, and I believe I am joined by most of the admin staff in this belief, that we should be going by the rules we have set in the various rule threads on the forum. If a loophole or inconsistency exists it can be updated by us far quicker than the FIA would get round to doing it.

The 5 second stop-and-go has been like this since day 1 of the game. The game has been full of broken features since release and I’ve spent almost a full hour looking thru the forum hoping you the administrative team had made posts addressing some of the many issues we have seen in the game since release. I was disappointed to say the least, but I’ll refrain from saying more bad things about it as there is a slight chance that I did miss it. Please link if it does exist.

The forum is fine for making posts of any size, it is actually far more difficult to follow using whatever system you have come up with.

Anyhow, your entire argument relies upon your creative interpretation of rule 38.3. That the five second stop and go penalty does not exist as per this rule does not seem to faze you, yet really it should. Your interpretation appears to be that the ten second penalty and the ten second stop-and-go penalty are separate, thus a five second penalty and a five second stop-and-go should also be separate. This is an inference, and perhaps a logical one, yet it is by no means a fact; we cannot assume how the penalty would have been worded had it existed. Besides, as stated previously we do not use the FIA rule book as gospel, the game is ill suited for that, and it is far too complex for the purposes of a game.

You may be correct that the rules have not been updated to include this phenomenon. However, I would point out that the admin staff are not strictly responsible for the rules and regulations threads, that falls upon the directors. It has also become convention that in the event of a five second 'stop and go' penalty being awarded from the game, the punishment is five seconds regardless of whether the driver pits again or not. Conventions are not necessarily written down, and as this issue has only surfaced relatively recently (to my knowledge at least, it has not been presented as a major issue to the admins) the convention may not have been written into the rules and regulations as of yet; I will however, endeavour to have it included so as to avoid any future confusion.

Reply #12
I don't see why this has been brought up by someone who isn't in f3 and is clearly friends with Badboy. From that you making it look like you are making a buyest decision towards your friends. Same happened in your league.

Reply #13
5 seconds added on at the end for an unserved in game 5 second stop/go, is the correct action... it's always been this way since the start of this game and every league that I know of also interprets it as 5 seconds added on at the end and not 10 seconds. I don't think every league is wrong.

Whilst you make some very interesting and valid points, I have to completely agree with Hulkenburger.

Anyway, we'll make sure that the directors put this ruling in writing to avoid any further confusion

Reply #14
If I may offer my two pennies worth as F3 commentator

I completely agree with the Rotards is saying & BadBoy should be the victor of the Canadian Grand Prix. So if I assume that the 5 sec stop-go penalty was for speeding in the pit lane then it would of been easier if Stim served his penalty there & then but unfortunately the game doesn't allow that to happen.

Stim is well within his rights to finish the race without serving the penalty, However had he served the penalty then he would of lost all the time entering & exiting the pit lane plus the 5 sec penalty so really even a 10 sec penalty is a bit lenient in my opinion.

Having said all this if the majority of admins have agreed to allow the 5 sec penalty to stand then it's something the rest of us are gonna have to live with. As a former admin myself I find some of the decisions they make very questionable & this will go down as one of them. Where I do feel that Badboy has been hard done by on this occasion we do have to respect the decision the admin team has made as if it wasn't for the admins & directors there would be no PSGL

Reply #15
If I may offer my two pennies worth as F3 commentator

I completely agree with the Rotards is saying & BadBoy should be the victor of the Canadian Grand Prix. So if I assume that the 5 sec stop-go penalty was for speeding in the pit lane then it would of been easier if Stim served his penalty there & then but unfortunately the game doesn't allow that to happen.

Stim is well within his rights to finish the race without serving the penalty, However had he served the penalty then he would of lost all the time entering & exiting the pit lane plus the 5 sec penalty so really even a 10 sec penalty is a bit lenient in my opinion.

Having said all this if the majority of admins have agreed to allow the 5 sec penalty to stand then it's something the rest of us are gonna have to live with. As a former admin myself I find some of the decisions they make very questionable & this will go down as one of them. Where I do feel that Badboy has been hard done by on this occasion we do have to respect the decision the admin team has made as if it wasn't for the admins & directors there would be no PSGL
Out of interest did you actually read any of the debate that was brought forward in the subsequent posts, or just the original argument? His entire thesis relies upon inference and assumption; as well as adherence to a rule book we have never (to my knowledge) adhered to. The only point I have sympathy for is that the rule was not officially written down but, as I noted previously, conventions are not always written, it has thus far always been dealt with internally and thus has had no need to be formally recorded, and it shall be added to the rules forthwith.