Skip to main content
Topic: GameBlast17 - The PSGL Charity Fundraising Event - February 24-26 (Read 1677 times) previous topic - next topic

GameBlast17 - The PSGL Charity Fundraising Event - February 24-26

Hey all, as many of you know for the past two years we have taken part in the charity fundraising GameBlast. Over that time we have raised close to £1,000!! It would be great if we could reach or even surpass that landmark this year.

First, some of you may be wondering what GameBlast is. Well, it is a fundraising event taking place over the weekend of 24-26 Febriary 2017 aimed at raising vital funds for the charity SpecialEffect. All you need to do is game and raise or donate a little money, as much as you can.

Secondly, who are SpecialEffect? Well, they are a UK based charity who travel around the country visting children and adults of all ages who have disabilites stopping them enjoying a hobby they were once active in, or preventing children from having fun with their friends or the rest of their family. By using technology ranging from modified joypads to eye-control, they aim to find way's for people of all ages to play to the very best of their abilities. By levelling the playing field, they help to bring families and friends together and have had a profoundly positive impact on the therapy, confidence and rehabilitation of many people. Below are just a few examples of the work they have done. Please take the time to watch these videos, they are quite humbling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPyiiYkqM_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHbzFMggIm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgXecyDyXzA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjpZa28RJ8

So for the last few years we have had a generous and dedicated group of PSGL members taking part in their own events and challenges, as well as those donating. This year I would really like to see much more of the community take part. If we all just donated £1 or £2, or whatever you can spare, we would raise such an awesome total, and as you can see above, make a real difference.

So i am asking you all, every member who takes part in leagues on PSGL, please help our efforts for GameBlast17 and SpecialEffect. I know member members use PSGL amongst many communties they visit, to others PSGL truly is more of a community.

But i ask you ALL to embrace our fundraising efforts this year and offer up event ideas, take part in the events themselves and donate what you can.

I know there are many demands on all of our time, and our hard earned money, but if all of us who visit and use PSGL on a daily basis donated £1, £2 or more we could raise such a fantastic amount. Please consider helping us to make a difference.

If you have read this far, thank you, and i hope you will take part in our GameBlast17 efforts. Feel free to post any event ideas you might have below. And once again, our fundraising link can be found here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gameblast17-adam-g

humanfish and the PSGL team  :113:

Re: GameBlast17 - The PSGL Charity Fundraising Event - February 24-26

Reply #1
I love that PSGL have taken on this annually since we did it 2 years ago, sadly last year I couldn't stream as I was working that weekend and I am also working for this year's but I will hopefully doing a 24 hour stream  on the weekend after or maybe during the week following it. I was amazingly surprised with the amount we have managed to raise overall and hope we can continue to raise even more for a more than worthy cause.  Thanks to everyone at PSGL :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Currently Playing;
Destiny  |  Ark: Survival Evolved  |  Battlefield 1  |  Modern Warfare Remastered

Reply #2
I'm starting to think of ideas of events to go the whole community involved this year. As I mentioned in my initial post, get involved and feel free to contribute any ideas you have.

For F1, one idea I had was maybe having 4 50% races where the top 3 and one wildcard go through to one 100% race to crown a GameBlast17 champion.

For FIFA we could do the popular one night cup, maybe a themed night - World Cup or Euro Championships.

Reply #3

I'm starting to think of ideas of events to go the whole community involved this year. As I mentioned in my initial post, get involved and feel free to contribute any ideas you have.

For F1, one idea I had was maybe having 4 50% races where the top 3 and one wildcard go through to one 100% race to crown a GameBlast17 champion.

For FIFA we could do the popular one night cup, maybe a themed night - World Cup or Euro Championships.
For this do you mean that for the four races there will be different competitors in each?
F1 League Stats:
Seasons Participated in: 3 (S15, S16, S18) Starts: 27 Wins: 2 Podiums: 6 Poles: 0 Points: 136 DNFs: 5 SEASON 18 CONSTRUCTORS CHAMPION - BigC_019 and qprbeasts987 - Toro Rosso - 166 points

Reply #4

but yeah, cool ideas, I would happily get involved in both  :)
F1 League Stats:
Seasons Participated in: 3 (S15, S16, S18) Starts: 27 Wins: 2 Podiums: 6 Poles: 0 Points: 136 DNFs: 5 SEASON 18 CONSTRUCTORS CHAMPION - BigC_019 and qprbeasts987 - Toro Rosso - 166 points

Reply #5
ill be setting up a 5 lapper championship, 7 races. I think anyway

Reply #6
50% races to act like qualifiers and then one grand finale with the best of each qualifier could go well, would bring out the best of PSGL F1 in 1 night.

Similar format to the Vegas eRace except not as shitty organisation :113:
x11 Race Winner(Would've been 12 but let Hilton win :p)
A LOT Of Podiums
F2 Driver for Season 4, 5, 6, 13.  NAC Driver for Season 5, 14  - F3 Driver for Season 14
Current F1 Team : Renault

Reply #7

50% races to act like qualifiers and then one grand finale with the best of each qualifier could go well, would bring out the best of PSGL F1 in 1 night.

sounds great!
F1 League Stats:

Reply #8

Yea, that was my initial idea to get people's brains going. The format needs to ensure as many people as possible can take part, so we can raise as much as possible. It also needs to be fun of course.

I think we have a format coming together though.

I am hoping to offer a prize of PSN credit to anyone who takes part in a GameBlast event, this will be drawn at random from a list of names of those who take part.

Reply #9
Please please please can members of PSGL come together and help us raise money for a great cause, we are doing many events to raise awareness and all we ask for in return is a small sum in appreciation to the people who make and run the site and put in so many hours of work .

Just a small donation really helps us, most importantly the charity to help our fellow gamers less fortunate than ourselves enjoy gaming, making family members smile and interacting! Just a few quid or even one will go along long way! Please guys what is £3? A pint! Come on members of PSGL !

Donate here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gameblast17-adam-g .

Reply #10
A small donation from myself for a good cause which the site supports year in year out. I have no particular interest in any of the events or raffles though, my donation is not linked to anything but the cause itself.

| F1 Stats | Races: 116 | Points: 1246 | Podiums: 81| Poles: 54 | Best finish: 1st (x41) |

Seven-time F1 Champion | Seven-time F1 Constructors' Champion | Two-time ROC Winner | The Special One|

Reply #11
I would love to see everyone who can,  donate even just £1. With the total number of active members on PSGL, we would hit an amazing amount!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Currently Playing;
Destiny  |  Ark: Survival Evolved  |  Battlefield 1  |  Modern Warfare Remastered

Reply #12

A small donation from myself for a good cause which the site supports year in year out. I have no particular interest in any of the events or raffles though, my donation is not linked to anything but the cause itself.

Thanks BigC, that's really appreciated! Every donation, whatever you can spare, helps us towards our goal and enabling the charity to continue their work. Thanks!!

Reply #13
have donated today as I absolutly love this cause that these people do. I will probably enter the F1 event next friday and in the weekend I'll do an event of my own for 6 hours. Either project cars again or something new now I have an elgato
PSGL Career: Starts:60 Poles:15 Wins:10 Podiums:28 DNFs:2 Fastest Laps:8   Points:586 WDC:2 WCC:3

Reply #14
Right, another GameBlast17 has come to an end and as the charity closes in on its target it of £100,000 (currently at £97,000) i want to thank every member of PSGL who has donated, whether it was their time, their money, or both. We have smashed our initial target of £250 and are currently sitting at £340 (not including Malc's fantastic total). I'm so proud of what our community has achieved, this being our third year of taking part means we have now raised over £1,000 for SpecialEffect.

Thanks to Louis and the racers who stepped up, answered the call, and donated to make their F1 event a fun night. Thanks to the individuals who held their own events in support of less fortunate gamers, including Faunus, mrstims, Fraggle, Jake and of course Malc. Thanks to those who donated, its a humbling show of support both to what we wanted to achieve but also what the charity does. As always, it is dissapointing more people do not get involved. But it is always more inspiring see those who read about GameBlast for the first time and want to get in involved!

So, as everyone knows, we have a prize draw for £30 of PSN credit for anyone that donated to the cause. The draw for this wiill be towards the end of this week, with the winner being announced next weekend. I'll then be awarding the prize towards the end of March, after i've been paid  :21:

Once again, thanks to all those who took part. Let's hope our efforts will help the efforts of SpecialEffect to allow gamers like us game.

Reply #15
That's amazing.

Well Done All