Skip to main content
Topic: [F4] Round 5: British Grand Prix (17/07/2018) 8:00pm UK Time (Read 231 times) previous topic - next topic

[F4] Round 5: British Grand Prix (17/07/2018) 8:00pm UK Time

Formula 4 : Round 05
British Grand Prix - Silverstone International Circuit

Race Preview

Following an unexpected mid-season break we come to our second European race of the season at Silverstone for round 5 of the F4 championship. Two weeks ago, Irun lost the lead of the F4 championship for the first time as Boywithnoface took his first victory of the season to leapfrog the Sauber driver and become the third race winner of the season so far. Elsewhere, a poor result for both mrgrumpy and bluemosquito saw the gap between the top two and the rest of the field spread to 19 points, and we may already be seeing a two horse race for the title take shape. It is imperative for the reigning champion to have a strong result this weekend at Silverstone, where he finished second last season, if he has any hope of becoming the first driver ever to retain the F4 title.

Track Guide

Last Season's Result:

1. Curtoise95
2. bluemosquito
3. Hulkenburger

Pre-Race Questions
1. Will you be racing?
2. Should we have had the extended break?
3. Can anyone catch Irun and Josh?
4. Are you expecting a good result this weekend?
5. What is your favourite F1 season?
F1 Race Statistics and Achievements
Races Entered 92 - Races Completed 61 - Points 401 - Pole Laps 9 - Wins 5 - Podiums 16 - Average Finish 7th - DNF's 31
1x F4 Drivers Runners Up - 2x F4 Constructors Runners Up - 1x F5(FP) Constructors Third Place - One Night Championship Winner

Re: [F4] Round 5: British Grand Prix (17/07/2018) 8:00pm UK Time

Reply #1
1. Will you be racing?
Probably not.

If you look at the race in Canada, no, I bet our race would be more exciting.

I feel like I could have been up there so I'm confident I can catch them, but I'm still missing some races to my holiday.

If I'm racing, I'm hoping for a podium.

Loved 2010 and 2012, even 2016 had a lot of good races.
Leagues: F4    
Best R Result:  5x1st (F2 Silverstone Season 15, FP Russia Season 18, FP Spain Season 18, F4 Hungary Pre-Season Season 20, F4 Spain Season 20)
Best Q Result : 5x1st (FP Russia Season 18, FP Spain Season 18, F4 Spain Season 20, F4 Austria Season 20, F4 Malaysia Season 20)

Reply #2
1. Will you be racing? Yes
2. Should we have had the extended break? Yes
3. Can anyone catch Irun and Josh? Yes
4. Are you expecting a good result this weekend? I'm hoping more than expecting!
5. What is your favourite F1 season? 08, 10 and 12
| PSGL F1 Stats | Seasons: 14 | Races: 171 | Points: 1410 | Podiums: 83 | Poles: 8 | Best finish: 1st (x27) |

| PSGL F1 Champion (x3) | PSGL F1 Constructors (x2) | PSGL F4 Champion (x1) |

Twitter: @IrunF1 | Youtube: IrunF1

Reply #3
2. Should we have had the extended break? Yes
3. Can anyone catch Irun and Josh? Yes
4. Are you expecting a good result this weekend? Not very good at this track so who knows!
5. What is your favourite F1 season? 2009 and 2012
Pole Laps 21 | Wins 18 | Podiums 58
Highest Race Of Champions Finish - 3rd | Constructors Winner x1
Drivers Runner up x4 | Overtake of the week winner x3 | Fifa 17 Season 1 Premiership Winner

Reply #4
1. Will you be racing?
Yeah
I think next time we clash with a live f1 race, we should just race as normal. Canada was the most boring race i've seen for a number of years
Probably not
Top 6 would be a great result for me
'86 was good. Mansell was on fire and should have won the title. '88-'91 Senna v Prost. the golden generation of F1 imo, loved the hate those two had for each other

Reply #5
2. Should we have had the extended break? We should probably race as normal or a bit later next time.
3. Can anyone catch Irun and Josh? Blue is the only one close enough. Everyone else would have to go on a huge winning streak to make up the points.
4. Are you expecting a good result this weekend? I suppose so, as I enjoy Silverstone. If I do, then I might go above Simo and WarrenHague into 4th.
5. What is your favourite F1 season? 2003, 2008 and 2012 (years where we not only had a good title fight, but drivers and cars down the field had races where they could shine).

Reply #6
1 - yes
2- yes
3 - Doubtful, but still a slim chance
4 - not really. Low on confidence at the moment. I should have finished much higher in every race this season, but threw every good result away. And I need a decent setup for tonight.
5 - 2007, 2008 (most dramatic finale that I can remember), 2010 and 2012.

Reply #7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfL-i94H1Vo&

| F1 Stats | Races: 116 | Points: 1246 | Podiums: 81| Poles: 54 | Best finish: 1st (x41) |

Seven-time F1 Champion | Seven-time F1 Constructors' Champion | Two-time ROC Winner | The Special One|

Reply #8
Qualified 8th, Finished 5th

I thought my lap was good in qualifying but a tight session meant I had to start the race from P8. The race start was okay as I managed to hold onto my position. Unfortunately on lap 2, I got caught up in a tangle with my teammate mrgrumpy in a complete  racing incident, so sad for him that he retired from the race as I know he would've raced well today.

Unfortunately for me, I picked up full wing damage and had to make an early stop. From there on, it was recovering ground and not giving up until the end. Pitted for softs, knowing I'd have to pit again with a long pitlane at Silverstone being a nightmare!

Managed to pass Mr P who was defending brilliantly, and also Miles to move up into P10. After my second round of stops, whilst running 8th and people dnfing above, I managed to catch up to lfc and simo on the final lap in the battle for P6 and P7.

So chuffed that I managed to overtake them both on the last lap, some hair and scare moments!!! With Clyde's penalty, means I pick up 5th and I'm reasonably delighted with that, as it was looking quite bleak at one point.

My never say die attitude tells me to fight on until the very last lap, and I'm happy that I carried on.. credit to Hulk as well after his first lap situation too for continuing.

Hopefully it'll be a bit more of an easier race next time out. Well done to blue on the win and the podium finishers :) Also Lfc for his best finish in a while
| PSGL F1 Stats | Seasons: 14 | Races: 171 | Points: 1410 | Podiums: 83 | Poles: 8 | Best finish: 1st (x27) |

Reply #9
Would also like to send my best wishes to @Betrayer46 who I know was feeling unwell today. Hopefully you feel better soon mate x

Reply #10
Cheers Irun, in hindsight probably should have given last night a miss.

Qualifying: 13th

No practice and it showed. On thursdays practice with Frome I managed a 1:27.6. A second off that last night.

Race: DNF

Chose Softs to start on, got a good start, bit cautious so i didnt hit Dave into the first corner. Got tagged going into the 3rd corner which put me out wide down wellington. I'm not sure what happened at the left hander at the end. Lost it big time, spun into the barrier knocking my front wing off. By the time i'd slipped across the track no end of times i was 30 secs behind the next car and in danger of being lapped. Decided to pit and retire. Was willing to leave ps4 on in game til the end but got permission from grumps to leave.

Onto next week

Reply #11
What a race that turned out to be!

Managed to keep it clean on a busy lap 1. A breakaway group of Josh, WarrenHague, me and Matty established. It stayed that way pretty much until the stops, where Hague undercut Josh and Matty did the same to me. However they had both gone for the slower medium tyres. I got a chance to get back past Matty immediately and took it, just about squeezing through at the end of Hangar straight.

At the same time Hague was struggling to stay ahead so I caught those 2 up again. Josh then took the lead and Hague let me through to have a go.

A lot of laps then passed where I couldn't get close enough. Eventually though, the chance came as I got a good run through Stowe, then we went side by side all the way to Copse where I had the inside meaning he had nowhere to go. Hague also came through in the same move putting the pink panthers 1st and 2nd.

I started struggling with my tyres now whereas Hague's were fine, which was a headache for Otmar Szafnauer in the garage. I held station until my tyres couldn't take any more.

The last part of the race is still a blur, I ended up dropping to 4th on track whilst Hague powered ahead along with Matty. Then I got a gift from Josh running wide, getting back up to 3rd. Which in the end was a net win, due to penalties!

It was one of the more intense battles I've had for a while and taking full points is very satisfying. Certainly brings back some confidence that the top 2 aren't necessarily going to run away with it  ;)