* The Golf Club

Author Topic: The Golf Club PSGL Tour - League Discussion  (Read 10254 times)

JK-Saturnine

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Bump and Grind
  • PSN: JK-Saturnine
  • FIFA Club Position: Any
  • Likes Given: 36
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Gamerscore: 42
  • Level: 0
  • Trophies: 3
  • Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! FIFA 12 5v5 League Winner - Season 3 PS3GL Premium Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Golf Club PSGL Tour - League Discussion
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 09:22:19 am »
Yeah I mean I'm never going to challenge the top table so it's kinda pointless extending the time permitted just for me. But the added time is kinda needed my end to try keep up and post a respectable score. I'm at work 7am to 9pm most the time and I have to keep up with fifa, destiny (lagging behind) and this. I also bought Shadow of Mordor and I've hardly scratched the surface of that either. I realistically get 2-2.5 hours a day to play games during the week and I have to be uber idle to play all weekend. So 7 days, in my situation isn't a great deal especially as I'm behind the curve in terms of playing ability.

A few things though. Having the longer durations probably helped attract people to the site and it always allows people, who are on holiday (I'm going away for 8 days on 3rd November) to catch up on fixtures. I acknowledged it would be more difficult to administer and players who have finished their rounds will need to return to check back again, hence it was just a tentative enquiry.

humanfish

• Founder

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSN: humanfish
  • Main League: The Golf Club
  • Likes Given: 1174
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Gamerscore: 479
  • Level: 4
  • Trophies: 16
  • Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! The PSGL Cup - Team EU - Runner Up - Season 2 7 Year's Membership of PSGL Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! 5 Year's Membership of PSGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 09:50:03 am »
Let me look into it more JK, I haven't dismissed it mate.

JK-Saturnine

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Bump and Grind
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! FIFA 12 5v5 League Winner - Season 3 PS3GL Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 09:57:13 am »
It's alright mate don't worry. It's gonna be too much work and will be unpopular.

Pipeit55

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Likes Given: 80
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Trophies: 1
  • The PSGL Cup - Team USA - Champion - Season 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 04:08:38 pm »
It's alright mate don't worry. It's gonna be too much work and will be unpopular.

JK,  I don't know that it will be unpopular and if HF don't mind it I won't be a problem. I was just voicing my opinion. I'm alot like you I don't expect to be on the top but I want to play as good as I can. its all good. sometimes i should keep my mouth shut or better yet tie up my fingers from typing  :)

AFCTUJacko

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSN: AFCTUJacko
  • Likes Given: 423
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Gamerscore: 1966
  • Level: 15
  • Trophies: 9
  • The PSGL Cup - Team EU - Runner Up - Season 2 The PSGL Tour - 3rd Place - Season 2 F1 2014 - FP2 Constructors Champion - Season 1 F1 2014 - FP2 Drivers 3rd Place - Season 1 Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 06:50:25 pm »
Personally i don't see any issue with having a new event go up every Sunday/Monday but have it last 10 days. Yes, it means there is some "overlap" but as long as HF doesn't mind running it that way it doesn't really affect anyone else. We just get to know the results a few days later.

7 days is fine for me personally but understand it's not the same for everyone and whatever we can to attract/keep people playing, we should do

smoknpirate

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Likes Given: 34
  • PSGL Achievements
  • The PSGL Cup - Team USA - Champion - Season 2 Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! The PSGL Tour - 3rd Place - Season 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 07:20:25 pm »
I have no issues with the extra time. I don't believe it really provides anyone with an unfair advantage and if it allows more people to participate all the better.

JK-Saturnine

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Bump and Grind
  • PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 08:04:15 pm »
Yeah, like when it's 2 weeks I can practice say 2 or 3 times ahead of it. Just to renew the swing/ remember wtf is going on. When it's a week I may get 1 day to practice and then it's 3 rounds straight after. The last round, which was a very hard course for me, I gave up because I knew I wouldn't post anything respectable with 2-3 days left and without sufficient time to practice ahead of it with the FIFA competition I'm in and stuff it had going on during the week/weekend.

I did say I was a casual player when signing up so I'm not sure I deserve special treatment. I'm casual in the way I won't take it seriously rather than wanting to skip events. just keep it weekly it's easier all round.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:05:51 pm by JK-Saturnine »

AFCTUJacko

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
  • The PSGL Cup - Team EU - Runner Up - Season 2 The PSGL Tour - 3rd Place - Season 2 F1 2014 - FP2 Constructors Champion - Season 1 F1 2014 - FP2 Drivers 3rd Place - Season 1 Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 06:47:27 pm »
Quick question, there are two courses called "Cruden Bay".

The olde links @ Cruden Bay is ranked easiest

The olde course @ Cruden Bay is ranked hardest.

Which are we using for the next event?

Pipeit55

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 07:39:18 pm »

The season calendar says  The olde links at cruden bay 

smoknpirate

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Likes Given: 34
  • PSGL Achievements
  • The PSGL Cup - Team USA - Champion - Season 2 Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! The PSGL Tour - 3rd Place - Season 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 08:20:46 pm »

It's the Olde Links..It's only rated "Easiest" because it hasn't had enough plays. Trust me, that's not the correct rating.  8) Especially if the wind is blowing at any decent rate.

humanfish

• Founder

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
  • Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! The PSGL Cup - Team EU - Runner Up - Season 2 7 Year's Membership of PSGL Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! 5 Year's Membership of PSGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 12:41:11 am »
I see the handicap update will be releasing before Christmas. It's great to see them work in the game so much after launch.

What are people's thoughts on the proposed system? I know some people think it takes away the sense if improvement as a player and even to some extent penalises the player who puts the practice in or has natural skill. Others think that it will tighten tournament fields up and just make them plain more fun and close.

Pipeit55

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 11:24:55 am »
I see the handicap update will be releasing before Christmas. It's great to see them work in the game so much after launch.

What are people's thoughts on the proposed system? I know some people think it takes away the sense if improvement as a player and even to some extent penalises the player who puts the practice in or has natural skill. Others think that it will tighten tournament fields up and just make them plain more fun and close.

I really want to see how it works, personally I don't think it is needed being that everybody has same equipment same distances same everything except skill level. this is a game and the more you play it the better you get. I do understand that some people don't have time to play this well enough to get better and even me I don't but I play these tournaments for a personal challenge knowing that i most likely won't win but i try for a top ten thats my goal if i hit it ok if not i will try next tournament. I feel like the ones in this league that we have that are good at this game will now have no room for error and a guy like me, you guys see my scores I'm middle of the road will be barking up their butts if they have the slightest trouble and i don't think that is fair to them and I don't think the majority of people that play this game will sandbag most all of us have a personal integrity that won't allow that. The thing that I think would make the most difference to all tournaments is the wind. this isn't real life in this game where i start a round and the wind is 4mph by third hole its 13mph by the 9th its 8mph by the the 14th its 19mph they say they have a global setting and i live in florida and the wind doesn't do that here and I have watched many pga tour events and have never seen that. i see it calm for some groups and breezy for others. give us one or the other or let the tournament director set the wind that way everybody gets the same. I'm real curious to read how others feel and i hope i'm not the lone ranger here  :). and hope you guys don't feel less of me.   

JK-Saturnine

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Bump and Grind
  • PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »
Does anyone know how the handicap is calculated at all/ yet?

Think it has its place. There's people like me who aren't playing the Tour because they're not competitive and don't really have the time to practice or to squeeze in 3/4 rounds in a week. I need to work on lowering my handicap really so this is my real challenge. I don't really get anything out of it when I'm predicted to be 60-70 shots behind the leaders.

AFCTUJacko

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »
Any idea how it will work?

Will tournament directors have the option of using the handicap system or will it be automatically applied to every event?

Hope not. I think it's good as an option but the game works pretty well as it is. And stuff like TGCTours allows you to compete with guys who are roughly on the same level as you if you are bored of getting thrashed every week.

As JK says it adds an element of realism. Getting the handicap down is the main aim of most amateurs.

JK-Saturnine

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Bump and Grind
  • PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2014, 01:05:57 pm »
Let's be clear - I'd rather be good enough to not need a handicap to compete. And I don't know what goes on in professional real life tours ie if they use handicaps or not. If they don't use them, then you probably shouldn't use it for this tour.

Also when I said 'people like me' I was really referring to myself! And it's doubtful I'd play even with a handicap as time is my biggest constraint.

humanfish

• Founder

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
The Golf Club PSGL Tour - League Discussion
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2014, 03:59:25 pm »
I'm weighing up what to do for season two of the PSGL Tour.

One idea, other than keeping it as it is, is to have Tour Pro's and Tour Am's (amateurs). Everyone plays in the same tourney's but there are separate tour leaderboards for each group.

So the one tourney leaderboard is slot into two at the end to work out the tour points. So there would be a Pro and an Am winner effectively.

Just thinking aloud.