* The Golf Club

Author Topic: The PSGL Tour Preason Tour Event - 7/9/14 to 28/9/14 [FINISHED]  (Read 8002 times)

humanfish

• Founder

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSN: humanfish
  • Main League: The Golf Club
  • Likes Given: 1116
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Gamerscore: 479
  • Level: 4
  • Trophies: 16
  • Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! The PSGL Cup - Team EU - Runner Up - Season 2 7 Year's Membership of PSGL Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! 1 Year's Membership of PSGL
    • View Profile
The PSGL Tour Preason Tour Event - 7/9/14 to 28/9/14 [FINISHED]
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:55:14 pm »

Welcome to the PSGL Tour preseason warm up event. Sharpen your pencils, dust off your yardage guides, and iron those emabarassing golf trousers you would never be seen dead in under any normal circumstance. Golf returns to PSGL, and this time on PS4. Let's try and build a strong, competitive but fun and friendly tour together.

PSGL Tour Preseason Event

This warmup tour consists of three seperate tournaments, each tournament consisting of three rounds. There is a mix of course types, and a mix of difficulties. But i have not used any 'hard' rated courses in this warmup, i thought we would break ourselves in gently.

How To Take Part
The way to find a specific, or in this case, PSGL tournament is to select 'PLAY' then 'PLAY TOUR' or 'PLAY TOURNAMENT'.

--> Choose 'MORE' on the select screen
--> Press 'L1' to change your search filter to 'SEARCH BY TEXT'
--> Press 'TRIANGLE' and add 'PSGL' as the search term and look for the name of the event as posted here

If you can't find what you're looking for - try press L2 to change the sort order. If that fails, drop me a message.

Also, see the tutorial videos provided by the developers and organised here
http://playstationgl.com/index.php?topic=17655.0

Tournament One - Little Brook Manor Open
Little Brook Manor is a highly rated 'official' course designed by the makers of The Golf Club. At the time of writing, it is one of the highest rated courses, with a 9.0. It looks like a nice course, with wooded and tree lined fairways, as well as both bunker and water hazards to be aware of.

Holes: 18
Par: 70
Yards: 5,679
Greens: Slow
Difficulty: Easy

Tournament Two - Castle Creek Invitational
Castle Creek is an attractive course with challening bunkers and interesting use of the wet stuff. It is another wooded course with open fairways teasing the brave player amongst us.

Par: 71
Yards: 6,483
Greens: Slow
Difficulty: Medium

Tournament Three - Yuma Desert Classic
Yuma Desert is another highly rated 'official' course with a rating of 8.7. It uses the desert course template, reminscent of courses found in the hotter, drier enviroments of the USA, inlcuding Nevada, Texas and so on. Watch out for the rattlers in the thick stuff!!

Par: 71
Yards: 6,514
Greens: Medium/Slow
Difficulty: Easy

Leaderboard

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:47:28 pm by humanfish »

Betrayer46

• Game Director

StatusOfflineOffline

• VR46 the G.O.A.T
  • PSN: Betrayer46
  • F1 Team: Ferrari
  • Main League: Formula 4
  • My Favourite Game: Gran Turismo
  • Likes Given: 742
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Gamerscore: 5528
  • Level: 34
  • Trophies: 29
  • F1 2015 - F4 Constructors Champion - Season 3 GT5 Pro League - Drivers Champion - Season 1 GT5 PSGL Cup - Drivers Champion - Season 6 GT5 PSGL Cup - Drivers Champion - Season 5 GT5 PSGL Cup Champion - Season 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The PSGL Tour Preason Tour Event - 7/9/14 to 28/9/14
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:43:57 am »
I might have a crack on one or two of these today. Good work Mr F, :)

JK-Saturnine

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Bump and Grind
  • PSN: JK-Saturnine
  • FIFA Club Position: Any
  • Likes Given: 36
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Gamerscore: 42
  • Level: 0
  • Trophies: 3
  • Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! FIFA 12 5v5 League Winner - Season 3 PS3GL Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:21:49 pm »
Yea boy am well on this.

I gave LBM a quick go last night before sleep. Caned the front 9 and got owned on the back. On hole 10/11 something like (defo a par 4 I hit the green in 1 and thought "BOOOM here's my eagle, boyo!" and ended up +1 for the hole. Gutted but I really enjoyed it.

Betrayer46

• Game Director

StatusOfflineOffline

• VR46 the G.O.A.T
  • PSGL Achievements
  • F1 2015 - F4 Constructors Champion - Season 3 GT5 Pro League - Drivers Champion - Season 1 GT5 PSGL Cup - Drivers Champion - Season 6 GT5 PSGL Cup - Drivers Champion - Season 5 GT5 PSGL Cup Champion - Season 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:35:48 pm »
Couple of my rounds :)

My only issue was the final standing. For some reason it only gave me a tour score of -13?? I didnt do that well for the forst 2 rounds of course one and two but did break par for both. I think it was something like -2 for the first course and -7 for the second. But i smashed the third course going -9 rd 1 -11 round 2 and -8 for the final round.

I'll post the videos up soon.

Betrayer46

• Game Director

StatusOfflineOffline

• VR46 the G.O.A.T
  • PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:54:00 pm »
And now i dont even have a score  :'(

But i really enjoyed playing it. I was totally out of my depth when i started. I'd only played 2 rounds since getting the game. Took two rounds to get to grips with it tbh.

Driving and approach are ok. Bit tricky working out % shots though. I found the chipping and pitching tricky to start with, finding out how hard to hit the ball etc. The putting is also tricky, knowing how much pace to put on the ball.

Overall its not bad. Playability wise, better than TW. It lacks in courses and a single player mode. Would also be better if you could arrange proper online matches. But i can see myself playing this for some time which is a good thing as it the first PS4 game ive bought that will make me play it!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:59:32 pm by Betrayer46 »

humanfish

• Founder

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
  • Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! The PSGL Cup - Team EU - Runner Up - Season 2 7 Year's Membership of PSGL Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! 1 Year's Membership of PSGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:56:14 pm »
It's got to be a bug, or leaderboards not updating. Either way it is wierd. When i am on tomorrow i will check the leaderboards and see if it has updated.

You had some nasty wind in the first vid, some nice club choices to compensate  <ns>

AFCTUJacko

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSN: AFCTUJacko
  • Likes Given: 423
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Gamerscore: 1966
  • Level: 15
  • Trophies: 9
  • The PSGL Cup - Team EU - Runner Up - Season 2 The PSGL Tour - 3rd Place - Season 2 F1 2014 - FP2 Constructors Champion - Season 1 F1 2014 - FP2 Drivers 3rd Place - Season 1 Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 11:49:45 pm »
Screw Destiny i just want to have a go at this now. Should be sorted by Wednesday/Thursday.

Been watching some of the course creation videos online. As i lack imagination thinking i might try and recreate some real life courses. Best learn how to play first i guess  ;)

razor49

• PS3 League Admin

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSN: razor49
  • F1 Team: Sauber
  • Likes Given: 32
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Gamerscore: 3993
  • Level: 26
  • Trophies: 15
  • GT6 Pro League - Constrcutors Champion - Season 1 GT6 Pro League - Drivers Runner Up - Season 1 F1 2013 - Classic League Constructors Champion - Season 1 GT6 Christmas Race 2013 - Champion GT5 Pro League - Constructors Champion - Season 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 04:54:36 pm »
Will give this a go soon a bit overloaded at moment with 3 races in 3 days.
GT5  | Races: 25 | Podiums: 13 | Poles:1 |Wins 4
GT6  | Races: 4 | Podiums: 3 | Poles: 0|Wins 2

humanfish

• Founder

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 05:17:43 pm »
No problem razor. There are three events with there round each, but rounds don't seem to take quite as long as TW. It's open till 28 September as well I think.

AFCTUJacko

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
  • The PSGL Cup - Team EU - Runner Up - Season 2 The PSGL Tour - 3rd Place - Season 2 F1 2014 - FP2 Constructors Champion - Season 1 F1 2014 - FP2 Drivers 3rd Place - Season 1 Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 05:23:21 pm »
PS4 arriving tomorrow  :4:

JK-Saturnine

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Bump and Grind
  • PSGL Achievements
  • Thanks For Taking Part Or Donating!! FIFA 12 5v5 League Winner - Season 3 PS3GL Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 05:26:33 pm »
I played a couple of holes with Dcaf last night. He randomly picked a difficult course. Was so painful. Like 40 over par! I've directed him to this thread. Bit on the subject of speediness - some online players are on speed by the tell of their ghosts.

JK-Saturnine

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Bump and Grind
  • PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 11:38:15 pm »
Did the first round and finished -7! Absolutely ecstatic. Bogeyed 3 holes and double bogeyed 1 meaning I dropped 5 shots overall. Wanted to rage quit after the double bogey but delighted I didn't as I merked the back 9 with 7 birdies.

Photos attached of my scorecard. Will give the other two courses a whirl over the next couple of nights.

AFCTUJacko

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:29:18 am »
Played all 3 rounds of Little Brook Manor.

Started Birdie-Birdie-Eagle on my first round but quickly came back down to earth with a bump and ended 4 over. Lag putting was my particular issue, just wasn't taking the putter back far enough.

Almost perfect second round - 14 UNDER!

Third round hit some good shots but the putter was a bit cold so "only" managed 8 under. Still, good for a first attempt  :)

Finding i am not hitting many shots 100% but compensating for it by clubbing up and playing around with loft, hitting it in low to get a bit more run.

Loving it  :113:

JK-Saturnine

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• Bump and Grind
  • PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 10:14:57 am »
Well done, jacko. Obviously a great round.

The way you describe your shots and judging from Betrayer's video I need to change my game and start feeling the distance required through minute adjustments and club height.

I'm still a noob 100%er and adjust the loft to try get as close to the pin as possible. Fully exploiting quick arithmetic (and getting it wrong) like the accountant I am. I'm fully aware that style won't work for the difficult holes as you need loft to control the ball on the fast/ hilly greens.

Did second round and got -8 i think. Not realising each hole is 3 rounds. Having a brilliant time so far.

AFCTUJacko

• PSGL Member

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 10:44:46 am »
I am actually really struggling to get 100% power on any shot even off the tee, just can't seem to time it right. Getting 90-95% most of the time.

Think i need to take a look at a few videos to see where i am going wrong.

Getting away with it on these courses but will need power and finesse on the more difficult ones  ;)

humanfish

• Founder

StatusOfflineOffline

• PSGL Achievements
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 11:29:44 am »
It shouldn't be too difficult to get 100%, the swing motion probably just needs to click with you. I certainly don't nail it every time, I either don't pull back enough or linger too long at the too of the swing.

And it can be costly when playing the ball over a water hazard, and you needed 100% to make it to dry land lol